I am missing 3 crabs!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

I am missing 3 crabs!!

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:43 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Eco earth and sand. (I am doing a tank cleanout to replace it with a 5:1 ratio of playsand to eco earth)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes, I currently have 2. I on one side of the tank and one on the other. About 75 degrees.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Yes, heat lamp. (I am switching to UTH)

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh and salt water. Pools are deep enough to submerge and I use reverse osmosis water for fresh and salt water. I use Instant Ocean as salt mix.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Every day to once a week goat, turkey, pork, salmon, kelp, spray millet, peas, banana, etc. (I have a huge variety)

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
15 now 12 PPs. I have had the oldest ones going on 3 years.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? I have multiple and could not tell you.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
90 gallon aquarium.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
15 now 12 and about medium and 1 medium to large.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? Idk, around 40 maybe more.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Only natural stuff and it doesent get into the tank.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I dont clean the tank, except for spot cleaning poops.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? A new crab.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? I had 1 lose a limb.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I am doing a deep cleaning of the tank to swtich my substrate to a 5:1 ratio of playsand to eco earth and to add the 48 inch by 12 inch UTH to the back of the tank. I am cleaning out the old sub and went through it twice and am missing 3 crabs. I have a glass lid with 1 piece of plastice where you would put your fish filters etc. The piece of plastic is meant to fit where it is supposed to and is pretty tight. The only way to get to the top of the tank is to climb a cord or the siding of the tank. I am missing these crabs and honestly dont know how they got away.

jonathon1989

Re: I am missing 3 crabs!!

Post by jonathon1989 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:54 pm

How big are these crabs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:57 pm

They could have possibly gotten out when you where cleaning the tank one time but that’s pretty unlikely. Do you know what shells they where in because if you do, have you found them? If you found there shells but there not in them then they could have gotten cannibalized by other crabs. I would also check all the extra shells really well because they could’ve change shells and be hidden at the very back. Hope this helps

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:59 pm

I had two of my small crabs change into bigger shells and I thought for sure they were gone until I spotted them way back in the shell.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:01 pm

Ya I have heard that happen to some other people too

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 pm

jonathon1989 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:59 pm
I had two of my small crabs change into bigger shells and I thought for sure they were gone until I spotted them way back in the shell.

I am gonna check them again but I have no idea as I am as hands off as I can be. And they were coming back up from molts they started to look the same and recently I had a couple go on a shell changing spree so I have no idea. I will check all extra shells again. Also I have a little container with wet rag and some peanut butter to lure any out. I have had such bad luck with these guys lately its not even funny. I would try the cod and lobster bites as well but my crabs dont seem huge on seafood but they love peanut butter and they havent got it in a while sooo fingers crossed. Also they could be dead already as I dont know how long they have been gone like I said I am hands off, and like to let them do there thing and i offer so many hiding places its hard to keep a tab on all of them especially since I have a day and night cycle so they are extra nocturnal.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:26 pm

Good luck finding them

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:28 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:26 pm
Good luck finding themImage

Thank you! I feel so guilty as I am not really a beginner. I never saw this coming as the glass lid is pretty secure.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:29 pm

hermitsrus1966 wrote: Thank you! I feel so guilty as I am not really a beginner. I never saw this coming as the glass lid is pretty secure.
I’m sure they will show up don’t worryImage

jonathon1989

I am missing 3 crabs!!

Post by jonathon1989 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:34 pm

If they are lost here are some very good Suggestions from Jedediah, Quistgard and Layne_D.
Put a peice of tin foil down, and then put something that they LOVE to eat in the middle of it, and then just wait. Or go looking in dark, quiet corners of the house that they would feel most comfortable in. (Quistgard)
I would Suggest Tuna, Peanut Butter or Honey. Anything Smelly that Might attract the Hermit. Silversides, if you have this available.
Put wet rags in a dish in every room to that the crabs will have a place to go and hide, you might find it here in the morning. This works well with frogs and I think crabs will search for humid places, too. (Jedediah)
I have also seen replies Stating That Crabs will Seek out the More humid rooms in the House. 1 being the Bathroom and 2 the Kitchen.
I have also Heard of Crabs Being found on their way down to the Basement.
And another that was found in the Trash. (Crab Crawled in)
Also check other sources of water that hermie may be drawn to and little knooks and crannies.