What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

CrabbyLover77

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm

crabbycasey wrote:Yum! Mera is adorable! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mera says thank you!! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 pm

That recipe sounded nice so I did the same thing for my crabs and they also loved it

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Dragged it all over the tank lol

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:54 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:Dragged it all over the tank lol

So glad they enjoyed it lol! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermielover121

What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:53 pm

For tonight’s meal I have prepared grapefruit, radish and radish greens with a side of dried snow crab and cuttlebone. There is only one crab up so I this is all i gave

Mama_mia

Post by Mama_mia » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:33 pm

Tonight we had a new crabitat! So we did a feast to fuel the picky eaters and figure out what they like!
-mealworms
-river shrimp
-cooked shrimp
-raw shrimp
-shrimp shell
-green bell peppers
-honey
-chia seeds
-dried mango
-dried strawberries
-duck fat
-mushrooms

Partially in the image, partially in the other dish! Image

ZombieLuvMF

Post by ZombieLuvMF » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:03 pm

Tonight's fresh dinner was Greek Baked Cod topped with artichoke hearts an a side of raw summer yellow squash & raw various sweet pepper minced. Plus 3 various complete meal mixers from Hermit Grub "always have 3 different in rotation".

Cod was wild caught an Artichoke hearts frozen not canned.
6 PP,all small

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:34 pm

Tonight the crabs are eating:
Dish 1:
Strawberry, carrot, clementine, lettuce, cherry tomato, pecan
Dish 2:
Banana popcorn from Cenobita Curiosities (comes with curiosity cube), flower powder popcorn from CloverScrubsShop, millet, mealworms, River shrimp all from CloverScrubsShop
Dish 3:
A bunch of different food powders (I'm too lazy to list the names and the sellers but if you want to know where they are from or what they are let me know:)
js syntax checker online
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:46 am

This is their midweek snack;
I feed mine a little differently and it works for us, as I do know this is not a balanced diet shown here, typically.
I feed them comprehensively once a week and keep an eye on that to ensure nothing gross happens, but it gets them to eat more of it this way. I supplement- usually with one peapod but I have molters coming back up right now too- about midweek with some goodies and focus more on the oddball stuff at this time. Because they’ve eaten a lot of their ‘favorites’ out of the other one already, it pushes them to eat some more of stuff they might not if their favorite thing had been refilled! They always have a lot of forage and variety there too.
I know this is different from the recommended feeding, and I am not recommending it, just telling you what has been working for us for almost a year now! It’s not the same, but it’s not super different. I do ensure they always have something from every food group; for instance, I had added some mealworms and a couple of cashews the day before so I know they’re good on protein still.
This has made a LOT less waste produced from their food being thrown out , by not doing a full food change every few days. I haven’t had mold issues on any foods yet, thankfully.
Last- a big thank you to [mention]VickieG [/mention] for the amazing care package she sent this year- just had to thank you for that again because it has been soooo useful. You’re awesome!

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:56 am

Overmountain1 wrote:Image

This is their midweek snack;
I feed mine a little differently and it works for us, as I do know this is not a balanced diet shown here, typically.
I feed them comprehensively once a week and keep an eye on that to ensure nothing gross happens, but it gets them to eat more of it this way. I supplement- usually with one peapod but I have molters coming back up right now too- about midweek with some goodies and focus more on the oddball stuff at this time. Because they’ve eaten a lot of their ‘favorites’ out of the other one already, it pushes them to eat some more of stuff they might not if their favorite thing had been refilled! They always have a lot of forage and variety there too.
I know this is different from the recommended feeding, and I am not recommending it, just telling you what has been working for us for almost a year now! It’s not the same, but it’s not super different. I do ensure they always have something from every food group; for instance, I had added some mealworms and a couple of cashews the day before so I know they’re good on protein still.
This has made a LOT less waste produced from their food being thrown out , by not doing a full food change every few days. I haven’t had mold issues on any foods yet, thankfully.
Last- a big thank you to [mention]VickieG [/mention] for the amazing care package she sent this year- just had to thank you for that again because it has been soooo useful. You’re awesome!

Where did you get your food dish. Seems like that could be very useful for me!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat May 29, 2021 1:14 am

Those are made my [mention]mlakers [/mention] from her Etsy store, she calls them pea pod dishes- they’re so useful. Love them! She also makes a flower dish that is also lovely. I think her shop is listed in the stores thread. It’s been a while and it’s late I can’t think how to link it right now!

Annie Kat

Post by Annie Kat » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 am

The main food has raisins (a big favorite) and dried banana as the energy. Then there is river shrimp, freeze dried shrimp, spinach, lettuce, carrot, purple cabbage and popcorn. First time trying popcorn, I saw it mentioned here.
In the clam shell is a bit of olive oil.

OliviaKay222

Post by OliviaKay222 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:58 am

It's been a week since I got my first crabs!
Today, these are eggshells, quinoa, apples, carrots, freeze-dried bloodworms, and honey.

hermitsinnc

Post by hermitsinnc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:48 pm

First day with my crabby babies!
Today they have dried shrimp, worm castings, scrambled egg, eggshell, popcorn w/ natural peanut butter and honey, and unsweetened applesauce.
It's been 2 hours. So far both have walked through the entire dish without touching a thing, but now the bigger one may be showing some interest in the applesauce. They're still very skittish, so I'm trying not to get too close.
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath

Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:30 pm

Today’s menu:

Baby Arugula, baby chard, baby spinach, carrot, haddock (whole fish chunk w/organs), coconut oil, clover honey.

Weekly forage (scattered around the tank) worm castings, dried insect mix, dried brine shrimp, dried blood worms, eggshell, coconut shavings.

She so far has ignored everything and is munching on her cork bark tube.