Heat and humidity

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Heat and humidity

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:52 pm

Ok, hi everyone I need some pointers after switching to 5:1 ratio of playsand to eco earth and a UTH instead of a heat lamp. I just switched over and my humidity has been lower than 75 percent and I am scared I have caused gill damage. Anyway my UTH is a 48 inch by 12 inch UTH and my tank is a 90 gallon this heat mat covers almost the entire back of the tank but still gets lower than 75 degrees. I also cant keep the tank above 75 percent humidity. Also my lid is glass and plastic and there is very little room for humidity to escape. Thank you in advance.

crabs_lex

Re: Heat and humidity

Post by crabs_lex » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:55 pm

Have you/ are you able to calibrate your thermometer/hygrometer?
Have you gotten all the sub wet to sandcastle consistency and mixed it up?
Do you ever spray/ mist your crabitat?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 am

hermitsrus1966 wrote:Ok, hi everyone I need some pointers after switching to 5:1 ratio of playsand to eco earth and a UTH instead of a heat lamp. I just switched over and my humidity has been lower than 75 percent and I am scared I have caused gill damage. Anyway my UTH is a 48 inch by 12 inch UTH and my tank is a 90 gallon this heat mat covers almost the entire back of the tank but still gets lower than 75 degrees. I also cant keep the tank above 75 percent humidity. Also my lid is glass and plastic and there is very little room for humidity to escape. Thank you in advance.
Although 75%+ is ideal, the different species care sheets say 70-80%. Are you able to keep your humidity at 70% at least?
Def calibrate your hygrometer like crabs_lex mentioned.
Is there anywhere air can escape where the plastic is? For example, are there any tiny gaps or small holes cut in there? If so, I'd put saran wrap over them and tape it down to close any openings. I know the plastic piece on my 20 gal is a little flimsy, so I've taped down all of the surrounding edges (also don't want anyone trying to escape!).
Do you have any extra EE laying around? You could add an inch of only moistened EE to the top of your mixed sub. Make sure it's just damp, not dripping wet. That should def help boost your humidity.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:32 am

crabs_lex wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:55 pm
Have you/ are you able to calibrate your thermometer/hygrometer?
Have you gotten all the sub wet to sandcastle consistency and mixed it up?
Do you ever spray/ mist your crabitat?
I have two two hygrometer/ thermometers and another thermometer. I just did the switch and no not really as I am afraid of a bacterial bloom. But yes I just sprayed the tank down where I could as I have a hay woven climbable background and hammocks that cant get wet. I think the sub could be wetter, but I watched a video on Crab Central Station and they said to put it together dry and the humidity will get it wet enough as well as crabs carry a pocket of water in there shells to use to make tunnels. So I tried to get it as dry as possible.

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:35 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 am
Although 75%+ is ideal, the different species care sheets say 70-80%. Are you able to keep your humidity at 70% at least?
Def calibrate your hygrometer like crabs_lex mentioned.
Is there anywhere air can escape where the plastic is? For example, are there any tiny gaps or small holes cut in there? If so, I'd put saran wrap over them and tape it down to close any openings. I know the plastic piece on my 20 gal is a little flimsy, so I've taped down all of the surrounding edges (also don't want anyone trying to escape!).
Do you have any extra EE laying around? You could add an inch of only moistened EE to the top of your mixed sub. Make sure it's just damp, not dripping wet. That should def help boost your humidity.

I think I am gonna tape the plastic shut as I also recently had an incident and am missing 3 (I searched the sub 3 times and checked the whole tank when I redid it) and I think they escaped through the plastic by pushing up on it. Also I have 3 thermometers and 2 hygrometers and they all pretty much read the same ( they are all in different areas of the tank some closer to the heat mat and other away from it)

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:03 am

hermitsrus1966 wrote: I have two two hygrometer/ thermometers and another thermometer. I just did the switch and no not really as I am afraid of a bacterial bloom. But yes I just sprayed the tank down where I could as I have a hay woven climbable background and hammocks that cant get wet. I think the sub could be wetter, but I watched a video on Crab Central Station and they said to put it together dry and the humidity will get it wet enough as well as crabs carry a pocket of water in there shells to use to make tunnels. So I tried to get it as dry as possible.
If the substrate isn't moistened to sand castle consistency, that likely could be why your having low humidity issues. The combination of moist sub and heat is what helps create the humid environment.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:32 am

Def need to moisten the sub...I’ve never heard that tank humidity will naturally moisten all the sub. I imagine that would be difficult, especially the sand at the bottom...it needs to be sandcastle-like consistency throughout. Also, maybe consider a moistened moss pit and/or pool bubblers! All of these things got my humidity where it needed to be and it stays steady 82-85. Wanted to mention too, I have 3 UTH on my tank to keep the temp up...one covers the back completely and the other 2 stay on the sides, all above the sub. Good luck with it all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 am

crabbycasey wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:32 am
Def need to moisten the sub...I’ve never heard that tank humidity will naturally moisten all the sub. I imagine that would be difficult, especially the sand at the bottom...it needs to be sandcastle-like consistency throughout. Also, maybe consider a moistened moss pit and/or pool bubblers! All of these things got my humidity where it needed to be and it stays steady 82-85. Wanted to mention too, I have 3 UTH on my tank to keep the temp up...one covers the back completely and the other 2 stay on the sides, all above the sub. Good luck with it all! Image

The coco fiber was moist and therefore moistened the sub a little but not enough and it is sand castle consistency which is not what I wanted. I just added a moss pit last night. I dont know what I should do though I literally just switched the sub and spent hours redecorating. The bottom seems to be ok but the top sub should really get moistened. I have rather small pools but my largest crab still can submerge. They are tupperware containers to fit bubblers in them, I dont know. I dont like when everything is dependent on something because if I have to make a change in the tank I am gonna have to figure out a spot where the cords can be etc. And i dont see me switching over to gallon tank because the seem like alot of extra work and room taking in the tank. Uhh this sucks. I swear that is what Crab Central Station said.

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:30 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:03 am
If the substrate isn't moistened to sand castle consistency, that likely could be why your having low humidity issues. The combination of moist sub and heat is what helps create the humid environment.

Yea, I know especially the coco fiber. I was hoping I would not have to wet the tank as I just spent hours last night finishing decorating and I love how it turned out. The good news is it is sand castle consistency and I think the crabs can still make tunnels but I think it could be wetter and I think it would be better for the crabs as well.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 am

I think it was Curly that told me I could spray around the edges of the tank and it would eventually soak in. My first crabitat had completely dry sand (didn’t know any better), but I had a crab under so I couldn’t do anything about it. It helped! Maybe you can use this technique of slowly getting it to a better consistency.

Hopefully @curlysister can confirm!

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:38 am

crabbycasey wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 am
I think it was Curly that told me I could spray around the edges of the tank and it would eventually soak in. My first crabitat had completely dry sand (didn’t know any better), but I had a crab under so I couldn’t do anything about it. It helped! Maybe you can use this technique of slowly getting it to a better consistency.

Hopefully @curlysister can confirm!

I think I am gonna have to do that. 1 because I saw a crab digging and burrowing. 2. I dont want to have to redo the tank for the 3rd time. 3. I got my tank up to 80 humidity and 80 degrees! My mom also just gave me a mini fake fireplace for my room and I will be able to keep my room at around 68-70 degrees and that should help keep it warm in the tank. I also wet some of the substrate and will be adding a mini garden of chia sprouts with moist EE as its ground. I am going to slowy mist and wet the tank everyday. But I also have to be careful as I dont want a bacterial bloom or flooding. One last question I had my mom smell the EE I was using and mixed with the playsand and she said she would trust it. To me it smelled really damp if thats a thing and like dirt from the forest. Is that normal? I feel like its normal.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:05 pm

Yes, that was probably me LOL! When my sub has been a bit dried out on top, I have added some water along the edges. Some people will add half a cup or more at a time, but I have always been a bit more cautious, adding probably a quarter cup, just poured along the edges in different spots around the tank. It will seep into the rest of the substrate.
While there are some groups that say to put the sub in dry, it does not make sense to most of us here. I mean, if it is dry, then where is the humidity going to come from? If the sand is moist straight from the bag, whether mixing with EE or not, you might not need to add a lot of water. But the moisture has to come from somewhere.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:27 pm

curlysister wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:05 pm
Yes, that was probably me LOL! When my sub has been a bit dried out on top, I have added some water along the edges. Some people will add half a cup or more at a time, but I have always been a bit more cautious, adding probably a quarter cup, just poured along the edges in different spots around the tank. It will seep into the rest of the substrate.
While there are some groups that say to put the sub in dry, it does not make sense to most of us here. I mean, if it is dry, then where is the humidity going to come from? If the sand is moist straight from the bag, whether mixing with EE or not, you might not need to add a lot of water. But the moisture has to come from somewhere.
Thats what I am thinking now, lol. I am so dumb because yea the moisture has to come from somewhere. Also my sub is not completely dry but it is not perfect sand castle consistency. I think the crabs can still make tunnels but I think it would hold alot better if I had sand castle consitency and not to mention my humidity has been sucky.