Where to find shells (opening apx. 1-1/2" to 1-3/4")

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
HermieBingo

Where to find shells (opening apx. 1-1/2" to 1-3/4")

Post by HermieBingo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:19 am

I need shells for my crab Bingo that are apx. 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" openings, but i can't find many that are under 14.99. Does anybody know were to find cheaper, but good quality shells? :crabbigsmile:

thanks in advance! :)
My only crabbie Charolette :)
R.I.P. Bingo

crabs_lex

Re: Where to find shells (opening apx. 1-1/2" to 1-3/4")

Post by crabs_lex » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:57 am

SimplySeashellsDecor on Etsy is absolute favorite place to get shells. They are always a great price! She does not have any sizes that you listed, though. i have previously bought shells around 1 3/8 from her which i know is smaller than your asking for. it wouldn’t hurt to ask and see if she will have any around that size though.

also on Etsy seashellmart is selling a single shell in your size for $10.55

i also saw a pearl turbo shell on Naple for $12.50

i hope this helped

MaryJane

Post by MaryJane » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:26 pm

CrabbyKateCrabShack on Etsy has nice shells, but her account is currently on vacation.

HappyCrabby on Etsy also has good shells.

Topic author
HermieBingo

Post by HermieBingo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:10 pm

Thanks! I am looking into those 4 shops. Looks like seashellmart might have what I'm looking for! :)

Big crabs are great :) , but shells cost a lot! :(
R.I.P. Bingo

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:06 pm

i ordered from CrabbyKateCrabShack once before and my shells came the wrong size (not a huge difference but enough that they were tooo big) and they had big chips in the openings.

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:55 am

I've had lots of trouble finding shells in that size range as well. When I've ordered them, if they're in stock, they've always arrived too big even when I specified the size range.

I've seen it mentioned in various chats over the years also, but one place to check is the dollar store/Dollar Tree etc.. I don't know one from the other, but the one where everything is $1.

I recently got several bags of shells from an owner who let me adopt his crabs. He said most came from there. About a week ago I checked it out and sure enough, huge bags of shells for one dollar. Most are green turbos and whale eyes and they're a whole range of sizes, many with an inch or more openings. I don't know if you'll find the exact size you're looking for but it's worth the minimal price. If you don't have any stores near you, I'd be happy to get them and send them to you. Many shells have nicks and some are broken but a little sandpaper and you're good to go.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mool

Post by mool » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:19 pm

Good tip about the dollar type stores VickieG!

HermieBingo--wait until you get a jumbo! Shells for Molly Brown with 2.25-2.75" openings are running me $25-50.00 EACH! Right now she has one on and 6 to choose from, but I have another smaller jumbo on my hands so I'll be looking for lots of 2-25" inch openings soon. Oy!

Topic author
HermieBingo

Post by HermieBingo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:27 am

Thanks, VickieG! I have a few dollar tree stores near me, so I will check em out! :)

Mool, your right, big shells cost a pretty penny! I kinda don't want Bingo to grow that big, lol, jk! :)
R.I.P. Bingo