Hide ideas for a jumbo?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
mool

Hide ideas for a jumbo?

Post by mool » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:00 am

My biggest crab is slightly larger than a baseball. Her empty shell barely fits into an open coconut half. No way she can get through a "door" in the coconut. I was looking a cork bark rounds, but in order for her to fit into one, I'd need to spend about $60.00.

What do y'all use as hide for your jumbos?

I bought a pack of 3/4" diameter x 2' length bamboo poles to try to construct something, but I'm not sure how I'm going to put it together. I was thinking of lashing the lengths together with twine after cutting them to size. I'd have to learn to lash them together...

Help! I need some inexpensive ideas.

FJrocks003

Re: Hide ideas for a jumbo?

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:28 am

I've been having the same problems with my crabs. I tried to put some hanging undergrowth around and they just teared it all off the walls. I found some video about making snake hides from stuff at a dollar store (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-cFEh5Jzc&t=781s). I think some of this stuff would work for large crabs as well if you made the entrances a bit bigger.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

keeliaa

Post by keeliaa » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 am

I would check out the dollar store and find a large bin, you can cut a hole in the sides and ive seen people cover it with mesh so it’s also a climbing toy at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arkos

Post by Arkos » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:05 pm

I just made this out of a dollar tree "stackable bin" for my newest crab that has a really awkwardly large shell. I covered it on top and all sides with mesh. Maybe something similar would work for you Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crab dad to 5 PP's

keeliaa

Post by keeliaa » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:11 pm

https://etsy.me/3lb5MxV
i just was looking for hides and found this, it’s a pretty good price and is good for climbing also. (plus it’s pretty appealing to the eye LOL) i wonder if the large one would work, there’s also different options on the sellers account, worth looking at.

Topic author
mool

Post by mool » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:42 pm

Thank you all for the ideas! Arkos, I really like your hide with the mesh sides!

Overmountain1

Hide ideas for a jumbo?

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:24 pm

Pots always work: pots you can either cut a hole in the side to make a door, upside down style, or you can turn them on their side and attach or place something by the opening to make it more private! GL!

Topic author
mool

Post by mool » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:16 am

Thanks again for the ideas. I'm for sure going to incorporate some of them. A student came up with what I think is a brilliant idea. I have an unused corner litter box like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Hi-Corner ... 14&sr=8-12

A corner hammock net fits perfectly over the top of the litter box to make an "awning." I drilled a couple of holes into the sides and top of the box to zip tie the net/hammock. It slopes downward and gives a nice big interior hiding spot. I want to line the interior with moss and I'll add some vines to the net to complete the hide. Crabs can climb on the net or hide under it in the litter box.

If I hang the contraption it will also provide space underneath for hiding.

I'm at home right now and my tank is at work, but I'll provide some pictures of it when I'm finished to show you what I'm talking about.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:35 am

I would love to see it, great idea!

Topic author
mool

Post by mool » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:56 pm

It's just sitting on the sub right now, but I think I'll make this the shell shop. I may or may not raise it off the sub.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:56 pm

That’s cool...could be very versatile!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:46 pm

Love it!! Definitely creative, and as you pointed out, can create triple the space for them.

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:51 pm

I use a hollowed out suken pirate ship from my old aquarium. The side opening of it is so large it could definitely allow a jumbo to get through. So, check larger aquarium decorations as well.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:43 am

Do you have access to a tile saw? I've made my geckos natural stone tile hides, and they can be made to accommodate any size opening. I would suggest slate or marble, the back side of travertine sort of disintegrates in humidity. It doesn't cost much either, maybe $5 to $10 per hide depending on the size and if you wanted to do a simple hide or a full box.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
mool

Post by mool » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:59 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:43 am
Do you have access to a tile saw? I've made my geckos natural stone tile hides, and they can be made to accommodate any size opening. I would suggest slate or marble, the back side of travertine sort of disintegrates in humidity. It doesn't cost much either, maybe $5 to $10 per hide depending on the size and if you wanted to do a simple hide or a full box.
I love this idea! Do you "glue" them together with silicone? I know Home Depot and the like sell lots of different sizes of tiles. I could probably get enough to make a big hide without cutting, especially if I leave one side open.

Thanks to all of you for your creative ideas!