Petition against painted shells...

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Petition against painted shells...

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:59 pm

Someone from the Crabstreet Journal created this petition to ban painted shells!

This is what is says:

"To: Pet stores
I the undersigned AGREE that painted hermit crab shells should be banned. These shells take the hermit crabs away from the state in which nature intended. The painted shells also cause much harm in many ways: the crabs becomes sick from eating paint chips and/or have become cemented inside of the home that is designed to protect from bodily harm. By signing below many crabs will be thanking you in the future. "

http://www.petitiononline.com/147jp85r/petition.html

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:29 pm

I did not know the painted shells can harm them. I bought all my hermies from the pet store and they all had and still have painted shells.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:40 pm

"These shells take the hermit crabs away from the state in which nature intended. "

So does harvesting hermit crabs from their natural environment and putting them into aquariums, but I do not see a petition to stop that. I am neither for nor against painted shells, but I happen to prefer natural ones.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:46 pm

I think the petition against painted shells is a good idea! :idea:

Topic author

i signed

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:57 pm

i signed th petition. I bought crabs that had painted shells at the beach and didn't know till a few weeks ago that it was harmful. I only have non-painted shells in my aquarium now. The petstore people talk about creating a wildlife like enviorment. They do not have painted shells in the wild so why sell them now that it is not natural.

Topic author

Re: i signed

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:43 pm

Knightschick14 wrote:They do not have painted shells in the wild so why sell them now that it is not natural.
There are still too many people that buy the painted shells to stop selling. A petstore still has to make money to stay in business, so they provide what is in demand. The majority of people that buy hermit crabs (or any "cheap" pet) still won't listen when the experts talk to them about painted shells. I know this becuase I used to work in a pets store in the fish department, along with being in charge of the hermit crabs.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:50 pm

I am trying to get the paint off one of my hermit crab's shells. The crab recently changed 3 times! It actually changed while it was in my hand!!! :o 8)

EDIT : I sure miss that crab. I posted this last year. It is 2006 when I'm editing this.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:46 pm

I have two with painted shells and one natural. How do I get them to change?? Is it really horrible for them to be in the painted shell? I don't know what to do

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:56 pm

Just offer them 3-4 extra shells per crab at all times. When they find a shell that they like, and its time to change...they'll do it. You can't force them to do it though. Just make sure you're offering them a lot of natural shells. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:06 am

I kinda like the painted shells on the crabs but i know it hurts them so it is wrong to do it!
-cassie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:09 am

Wal-mart puts their hermit crabs in a tiny container!!!got to http://www.PetitionOnline.com/crabacup.com/ and sign it.Someone on crabstreet journal created this one too,I think.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:09 am

Well I went to my local PetSmart today, and I found a row full of Betta's in little tiny cups with some blue water...

I counted three dead.

Didn't see any crabs, but I feel bad for those betta's.

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:17 pm

I had no idea they were bad.....I got two in painted, had no choice...I have one in natural, will get more shells.
trying to sign petition and it wont let me for some reason :(
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:21 pm

I only have 2 crabs that have not changed out of painted shells so far, as they change i take them out of the tank so they can't go back in them. The pet stores attrack kids with the painted shells, hoping to boost their crab sells. You can go to a craft store like Michael's and buy bags of shells in bulk, that are natural for not that much money. Try offering a variety of shells and they will probably change. Then destroy the old ones.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:26 am

I am brand new to crabbing, but I signed both petitions. I don't think Wal-mart should sell pets of any kind. Every time I go in there the pet area has some sort of sick or dead pet in an aquarium so obviously they are not fit to care for these pets. Also the crab in a cup is just cruel it is like keeping them in a tiny prison cell. And for those who think the painted shells are ok think about this for a moment : We take the lead paint off of our houses because it is toxic and causes brain damage. Why would you knowingly contaminate your pets house with paint that can kill them, it doesn't make sense.