Indo Owners

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Indo Owners

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:07 pm

Do you have moss pits in your tank? If so, do you find that your Indos spend a lot of time in them?

All three of mine love to hang out in the moss pits and it's their favorite places to sleep. I wondered if it were something others had noticed about the species or if it is a quirk of mine.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:18 pm

Well I have PPs and Straws and although my straw likes it the most, the PPs definitely take their turn. I see each crab in there almost daily! They really love the moss.

jenniep

Post by jenniep » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:35 am

my e's love the moss. especially my shyest one :wink:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:32 am

Yeah, all of my crabs enjoy the moss pits, but the Indos seem to especially like it. It's hard to explain, but they're moss addicts.

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:58 am

ECO/moss pits they never leave except to eat and drink :)
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:48 am

Is it because they have moss in their natural habitats or they just like it?
My 2 species just like choya wood and digging in the sand mostly, and short naps on the moss.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:06 pm

I don't know what it is. I've had Indos since late November and I know that anytime I want to find them all I have to do is look under the moss. If they aren't under the moss they're on the coral.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:57 pm

of my 29 crabs, i have one indo. the first thing he did when he got home, was burrow into the moss and just stays there. i have seen him eating once, and he got scared and ran back into the moss. when i need to find him, i just lift up the moss too.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:38 am

Of my 29, I also have one Indo (lol elephantshark44).

My indo is very shy, and is obviously pre-molt. Ashy exo, a deformed BP, eating tons of food and draining out the water dishes multiple times per day...
He's been buried for about 4 days now, and I think he's decided it's time to molt.

But prior to him burying, he was quite a character. Some days he'd seem to just hide in one spot, yet on others he'd go out and climb on and over EVERYTHING, while gorging in the food dish. I have a moss pit (currently in use by molter in Iso), but I have only seen two crabs actually show any remote interest in it. Other then my molter (who refuses to leave the moss now lol) none of mine have ever buried in the moss.

I suppose analyzing a pre-molt indo isn't a good way to tell it's true character though. I have a feeling he'll be buried for quite some time....

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:16 pm

I don't have any indos and I haven't tried moss yet, but I'm thinking any hermie would enjoy moss from what I've heard. Hermies do like to hang around moist places and moss can provide alot of humidity so I'll say it's good for all hermie species. :D Well if they don't bother to hang around it, you would be doing a good thing because moss keeps the humidity steady so.... it will have it's purpose!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:33 pm

my pp's and e's really enjoyed the moss. same thing w/ everyone's indos, if I wanted to find Rose I'd just look under the moss! one day I saw a bump in the moss, and thought, o, that's Rose. I looked and she wasn't there! kind freaked me out, I thought I had lost her. turns out she was still in the 'tat! lol

I really reccomend moss for crabbies... they seem to enjoy it!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:31 pm

I have a lot of crabbies that hang out in the moss, but there's something about the Indos that's different. It's like moss is neccessary for them, not just a benefit.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:05 am

ms_hecubus wrote:I have a lot of crabbies that hang out in the moss, but there's something about the Indos that's different. It's like moss is neccessary for them, not just a benefit.
That's interesting!! I love learning new things about the different species!! I read on Christa's website that indos are the most terrestrial of the species. Do any of you indo owners find that to be true? Moss is rather moist so I was wondering. :D