Eco Earth or play sand?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Eco Earth or play sand?

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:28 pm

I am getting ready to do a deep clean in the crab tank and was wondering if I should change to play sand instead of the EE. Does it stay cleaner? What does everyone else use?

Topic author
Gorthaur

Post by Gorthaur » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:44 pm

I use both. I've never had any problems with mold with my EE. In a way, it does stay cleaner than sand, because it decomposes their waste, but you still need to change it every few months. My Indos enjoy it the most, but all the others still dig through it occassionally. Why not try a small section when you set up the tank again? If the crabs (or you) don't like it, it'll be easier to remove.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:50 pm

That's a good idea...Do some people do half EE and half play sand? I am thinking of adding a 2nd level, too. But was thinking of putting moss up there and the extra shells...Does that sound like too many substrates?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:13 pm

playsand lasts longer, and after using both playsand and FB (which is kinda like EE) I would have to say I'm happier with the playsand - first of all, it's way cheaper. maybe money isn't an issue, but it lasts longer as well - so you don't have to keep buying small amounts over and over agian.

however - while not needed - EE, FB, have their advantages. maybe you want to try half and half and see for yourself?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:42 pm

I think I am going to try the playsand and keep some EE on hand in case they don't like it after using EE so long! I, at one time, used calci-sand but not for long because I read it wasn't as good! The EE is just hard to clean as it is so dark and I don't think sand could be much messier. The cleaning and reusing factor is a plus! Thanks for all the advice!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:36 pm

I just changed my tank too and I put the EE in one big rubbermaid and than sand in the rest and some gravel in another. I do notice that they switch from the sand and the EE and sometimes would even go to the gravel.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:32 pm

Well maybe I should do 1/2 and 1/2 then!!! This is a hard choice!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:48 pm

I use half eco earth and half playsand although my pp's like the eco earth side alot more and I mean ALOT more. They are always on that side and dig in the eco earth all the time ive never even seen them attempt to dig in the sand side. The only reason they would go to the sand is because thats where I keep the food and water dish's. So I would go with the eco earth or just try both it's up to you.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:56 pm

i use playsand. I mihgt switch to EE, though, or both, when I get a bigger tank.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:03 am

There are a lot of opinions on this..I am glad so many people gave their input. I think I am going to do 1/2 and 1/2. That way I can see what the crabs prefer...maybe they will want both...Thanks again!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:18 am

I've found that whichever side has the most hidey places, that's where I find the most holes. for instance, all the digging used to be on the sand side when the cocohut, flowerpot drift wood and fake plants were on that side. now, all the hidey stuff is on the FB side and everyone digs over there. so in a way, you can almost choose which side you want them to like.

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:46 am

I've done both substrates at different times, and I cannot tell you how much my crabs ADORE EE!!!! They are constantly digging in it, just to dig. I'll see them dig down and an hour later they're back on the surface goffing off. :) I always had trouble with the sand cuz I couldn't keep it damp enough. That's what killed my first two crabs.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:54 am

My crabs really like the EE, too!! Myabe I should just stick with what works!! I just thought maybe the sand would be better for them...I think I will do 1/2 and 1/2 just to see...if they don't like sand..I can take it out!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:08 am

I finally got the 55 gallon set up and I did 1/2 and 1/2 ...too soon to tell what they like but thank you to all for the advice!!