Got a problem with my water dishes

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
GRMU99

Got a problem with my water dishes

Post by GRMU99 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:36 pm

I have 2 water dishes in my tank. 1 is salt and the other non salt with sponge in it. My problem is that my water dishes are drying up way to fast. I keep filling them up every day went I got up and when I went to bed. The dishes don't have leaks in them. My temp been a little hi the past couple of days. I had to unplug my UTH and put it on a timer. My humidity been above 70 to almost 85 close to 90. What should I do?
2 cats
Buddy and Belle

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:02 pm

I was told the humidity that high is actually good and I have bumped mine up and noticed more activity. I would say those are fine...I would either A.) Continue to fill them constantly, which is not feasible OR B.) Get larger water dishes. I had to do that even when the humidity was only 78-80% and now I have no trouble keeping water in them. Exactly how big are the dishes? They seem fairly small if it evaporates that quickly! That would be my best guess but someone else may have some different advice!

Good Luck!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:03 pm

I was told the humidity that high is actually good and I have bumped mine up and noticed more activity. I would say those are fine...I would either A.) Continue to fill them constantly, which is not feasible OR B.) Get larger water dishes. I had to do that even when the humidity was only 78-80% and now I have no trouble keeping water in them. Exactly how big are the dishes? They seem fairly small if it evaporates that quickly! That would be my best guess but someone else may have some different advice!

Good Luck!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:03 pm

Good Luck!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:06 pm

Good Luck!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:49 am

Yeah, deeper dishes slow the drying up process down a lot. I was refilling as often as you until I got deeper dishes. Now it never gets to the point of total dryness.

Topic author
GRMU99

Post by GRMU99 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:25 am

I only have a 10gal tank right now and hopefully upgrading to a 20gal long. And now I have a problem with the temp been too high. Last night it was around 85. My tank is in my bedroom that is on the third floor of my house. Does anyone have any ideas on lowering the temp in my tank. I did unplug my UTH and it reads over 80. Our weather is starting to get warm. It's been in the 70;s all week. I have a AC in my room but, it is too early to put it on.
2 cats
Buddy and Belle

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:38 pm

What about opening the window a bit to allow the tank to become the same temp as outside. If it's in the 70's that would probably keep the tank in the upper 70's lower 80's. At night when it cools down, close the window. The tank should not drop temp too much..maybe mid 70's. If it does plug the OTH back in.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:47 pm

about the water dishes drying so fat - this happened to me too, until I got larger dishes. however, that wasn't all the problem. the crabs would build a 'sand bridge' type thing and all the sand would soak up the water, just sucking it right out of the dish.

perhaps try putting aquarium pebbles around the base of your water dishes?

Topic author
GRMU99

Post by GRMU99 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:02 am

today I'm going to the pet store and get a new water dish for them. I hopefuly the water dish I'm going to buy work.
2 cats
Buddy and Belle