Eco Earth

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Eco Earth

Post by Guest » Tue May 30, 2006 4:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I was in a Petco the other day, (the hermies were being kept very nicely btw) and in the bottom of this VERY nice tank they had was this substrate that i have never seen before. The bf asked what it was and the salesperson showed him this brick called "Eco Earth" made by Zoo Med. The salesperson said it was good stuff.

So we bought a brick of it. I haven't used it yet, but i was wondering if anyone has tried this stuff and what do they think of it. It says on the package that it "Naturally breaks down odor and waste products". While that is the case, how often should this stuff be changed?

Another question that i have is since you have to soak it in water to make it "expand", what kind of water should i use? Should i just go with regular bottled (Poland Spring) water, or do i have to use my dechlorinized water?

You guys must be sick of my questions already, but these guys have brought me so much joy i'd like to make sure i'm doing the same for them.

Thanks in advance,
Crab Cake

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue May 30, 2006 5:23 pm

there is alot already posted on this topic. IN fact ECO EARTH may be not such a good product anymore as they are changing the ingredients and that may be contributing to bacterial infections in our crabs.....they may be adding peat moss and loam? There is a thread on this which is started by Chestersmom

Many use it such as myself, Bed a Beast is a no no -- make sure what you buy states 100% coconut fiber.

Use dechlorinated water for anything you do in your tat.
I use it in dishes and change that every 3 weeks or so. I just today added it as a substrate mixed in with sand and coral.... :)
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Tue May 30, 2006 5:41 pm

I prefer to use dechlor marine salt water to decompress my bricks of Forest Bedding or Eco Earth since that cuts down on mold problems with the stuff.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue May 30, 2006 5:45 pm

Herm-EZ wrote:there is alot already posted on this topic. IN fact ECO EARTH may be not such a good product anymore as they are changing the ingredients and that may be contributing to bacterial infections in our crabs..
i've heard this too. :?: it's a little depressing because i always thought that that whole brick for like, 5-7 $$ was a good deal. :( lol, oh well.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 31, 2006 3:10 pm

Thanks for your replies...i'm thinking i'll use it this time...but switch to something else down the road.

I have another question though...if you have a UTH, and your substrate should be deep enough to bury the biggest crab, how is the heater going to work? The box it came in said the sand over it should be a half an inch. In order for my biggest crab to bury himself, my sand would have to be at least 2 inches high.

I'm guessing that i have to put the stuff in on an "angle"?

Thanks again,
Crab Cake

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Wed May 31, 2006 4:42 pm

you can angle it...or what I did was put the tank on clear plexi glass and attach the heater to that so the pad is not directly on the glass therefore lowering/eliminating the stress crack likelyhood.

It still does the job and if you keep that (substrate) moist it will then help add humidity to your tank :)
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 31, 2006 6:46 pm

Poland Spring is just a brand name of bottled water that she has.

If you want to only use part of it DH was able to break off a few pieces with a chisel. My son bought some for his anole.

Kathy

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Wed May 31, 2006 6:51 pm

Kathmom26 wrote:Poland Spring is just a brand name of bottled water that she has.
Kathy
:?: huh? noone questioned that and it should be dechlorinated also :)
I cut the big brick up too--its way too much to use at once for me. :wink:
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm

A similar product is Forest-Bedding, and I believe it is still 100% coco fiber, so it would be a good choice. Eco-Earth was a good product before the recent changes to its composition, but I would say try some FB if you are interested in coco-fiber substrates. They work wonders for your humidity! My crabs love EE.

ripshaw
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by ripshaw » Wed May 31, 2006 10:22 pm

Herm-EZ wrote:there is alot already posted on this topic. IN fact ECO EARTH may be not such a good product anymore as they are changing the ingredients and that may be contributing to bacterial infections in our crabs.....they may be adding peat moss and loam? There is a thread on this which is started by Chestersmom
if you look back at that thread you will see chestersmom edited her original post to confirm that Zoomed claims their product still contains and has always contained 100% coconut fiber. This same info is found on their website here http://www.zoomed.com/html/eco_earth.php

i wouldnt worry about the quality of this product, ive been using it for years with no problems. however i will say that i find forest bed to be a superior product in that it expands much easier and i never find chunks of plastic packaging stuck in the condensed brick like i do in eco earth bricks. neither of these products mention that they are 100% coconut fiber on the packaging, so the best way to confirm this is check product info online or call up the company's 800# and ask a sales rep.
~ Rip Tang, female crabber!

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:40 am

ripshaw wrote: if you look back at that thread you will see chestersmom edited her original post to confirm that Zoomed claims their product still contains and has always contained 100% coconut fiber. This same info is found on their website here http://www.zoomed.com/html/eco_earth.php

i wouldnt worry about the quality of this product, ive been using it for years with no problems. however i will say that i find forest bed to be a superior product in that it expands much easier and i never find chunks of plastic packaging stuck in the condensed brick like i do in eco earth bricks. neither of these products mention that they are 100% coconut fiber on the packaging, so the best way to confirm this is check product info online or call up the company's 800# and ask a sales rep.
No this is my understanding--there will be 2 products
I mentioned EE for the first time as it has only "just" been established that they are selling a composite product now too! I was given to understand that they do also still have the 100% coconut fiber one, and it will state so on the packaging. In light of my inquiry, they may do so with more dilligence (I hope)!
per Chestersmom

and
It really doesn't matter what brand of bedding it is so long as it is 100% COCONUT FIBER!!! Unfortunately, ECO EARTH has stopped indicating that it is 100% coconut fiber, it is still mostly coconut fiber, but there is other deliterous material mixed in! SuperPets sells the improper kind since the new year, as I found out by buying some. You will notice that it is a much lighter and redder color than 100% coconut fiber!
need to make sure what we are buying :wink:

Zoomed will be checking with their supplier to confirm they are using the same process to prepare it for sale. I will share this information, as soon as I have this confirmation.
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

ripshaw
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by ripshaw » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:16 pm

this is straight from zoomed's website:

"*Note to Hermit Crab keepers:
Eco Earth is, and has always been, a safe and additive free burrowing substrate for Hermit Crabs."

i believe thats the company confirmation you all were looking for. they just put that note up this morning
~ Rip Tang, female crabber!

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:46 pm

ripshaw wrote:this is straight from zoomed's website:

"*Note to Hermit Crab keepers:
Eco Earth is, and has always been, a safe and additive free burrowing substrate for Hermit Crabs."

i believe thats the company confirmation you all were looking for. they just put that note up this morning
WONDERFUL!!! :)
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:38 pm

I'm sure FMR would say that the Copper Sulfate in their food is fine too... I just don't know that I trust manufactures. I will only buy if it says 100% coco fiber. Not being mean just cynical...

I attached my UGH to the back side of my tank so it didn't matter how deep the substrate is. Mine was small though and was warm to the touch but not hot. I could keep my hand on it for as long as I wanted... if you are having trouble keeping temps up try a light, too. You can get the moon glo lights so you can keep them on all night too and not have the lights bug them. That is what I am getting for this winter. I have a clip on reptile light and I am going to get one of the moon glo bulbs to put in it.