Escaped Hermit Info. Gathered from other Posts.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:10 am

shut all the doors in the house. then look in each room after yiour done looking close the door again. put food and water for the hwermies in each room. also one in every hallway. the doors ethier keep the hermie in that room or the make sure he cant go in that room.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:01 pm

We went away for a couple of days over Easter. When we came back we found one of my Daughters crabs hanging onto the bottom of shower door. We could only put food down in the shower and wait for the little bugger to let go.

God know how long it was out for and roaming the house, and how it avoided the inside living cat!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:25 pm

What about the old flour trick? Bit a light coating of flour on the floor (doesn't work with carpeting) near the food you've put out and look for hermie tracks.

hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:09 pm

i had a lost one. look under dressers! thats were i found mine! as well as closets and i have these cubbie holes for storage and one crwled into them

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:43 pm

I had put my crabs in a basket while I cleaned their tank. I put a cookie cooler rack on top the basket. Well, one of them pushed out of there. I was so horrified! I looked everywhere in the kitchen but couldn't find him. A day or two later I went to put my tennis shoes on. They had been sitting in the kitchen during the time of the escape. And there he was, none the worse for wear! :)

Wolfite

Post by Wolfite » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:03 pm

The day I bought my crab, I was setting up his cage at a friend's house. I was siting on the floor and I made a little "Corral" with my legs, thinking I'd feel if he tried to crawl away. Unfortunately he ninja'd his way out while I wasn't paying attention, and I couldn't find him anywhere! Since I was in a strange house, I didn't know where to start, so I just tore the whole place apart. I looked under beds, in closets, in the kitchen, with no success. I checked the room I'd lost him in several times, including the floor length curtains, bedsheets, and my friend's rat cages. I looked under my bags and jacket that had been sitting on the floor at the time, and I kept relocating everything to figure out if there was anywhere I had missed.

I was resigned to the situation, and getting ready to leave (I had to go to work) and I gathered all of my things. I picked up my backpack off of my friend's bed, and THUMP! My Ninja-Crab fell off the bottom of the pack. I swear I mush have moved that bag eight times, but I didn't realize he was there!

Now I know! Check the Under-Side of things, not just Under them!

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:01 pm

i lost one on in my bedroom on one side of my house and the kitchen on the other side and i found in the kitchen he survived my two dogs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my mom ,me and my stepfather getting up and getting a late night snack

hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:35 am

Another thing that helps is to get on the floor adn listen for tny noises, and then look wher the noises are coming from.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:25 pm

i have an av sized one who always likes to escape
he just walks in open spaces
my jumbo, the chan chan man, stays put as he doesnt have much in the way of being inconspicuous

also

i let them run about frequently so they dont feel the need to escape as much

:worthless:

my 2 babies found!

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:36 pm

Cats really do find crabs... With the help of my cats and sitting out late at night, when they are active is how I found my two houdinis! The kitten started to play with one, fortunately I was right there and grabbed it and my husband was up late another night and saw our other cat staring intently at something so he glanced over and there was escapee 2 - my hubby got pinched!! Anyway this section made me feel better. I was SO upset about "losing my little guys"!! They're doing great now! Needless to say there is NO way they can escape now!
SO SIT OUT LATE AT NIGHT AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CATS!! :D

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:13 am

One of my crabs got out by climbing the silicone in the tank. I'm always taking him off that. I looked all over the place for him, after 4 days I didn't feel so good about finding him. I felt terrible! Then I came home from work one day, and he was at the front door just standing there when I came in. hahaha.

bugger

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:37 pm

this definately helped. when i get done in the shower sometimes i wait until the morning to put my damp towels in the hamper, and my crab was under them!! poor little guy... fortunately he is ok and back in the tank

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:21 am

:) One word to solve your problem & not have to lower the caddy:

Velcro

:smt112 Click on the word.
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

PPs,Straws,Es,Ruggies, Violas, & Indos!
3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Hermy lover

Post by Hermy lover » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:24 pm

i have lost many hermit crabs even some out side :cry:
:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Crab Addict

Post by Crab Addict » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:24 pm

I bet that jumbos molting in the flowerpot. If its right next to the tat chances are thats where he is!