Blacklight Friend or Foe???

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Blacklight Friend or Foe???

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:09 am

Are blacklights okay for Hermit Crabs??? I think it would be cool to have their shells painted with blacklight paint, and Glo them under a blacklight (not all the time!!) Please tell me if this is a bad idea!!!!!|

Topic author
brandi9976

Post by brandi9976 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:35 am

The paint on the shells is a very bad idea, but there are some very cool looking natural shells that glo under a nightglo bulb just as if it is was a black light bulb

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:09 pm

I wish blacklights were good for them! But no, it's way too much UVB, so even though it seems dark to us, it's like nightime sun to them, and they need day-night cycles.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:12 pm

That's not the same thing was a moonlight bulb is it? I've been using a moonlight bulb which kind of has the same color as a blacklight and they seem to like it...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:21 pm

Moonglow is good, it's not the same thing as a blacklight, it emitts more UVA.

Topic author

Hold on!!

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:44 pm

so are blacklights okay for a short time during the day or is bad for them at all??

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:33 am

I don't see why they couldn't be used during the day.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:40 am

It doesnt matter when you use the blacklight, it still emits equal amounts of Ultra Violet light at all times. I dont think I would use it at all. Although it seems less potent during the day, it still might be annoying to the hermies. Besides, during the day the effects would be negated unless your room is dark.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:21 pm

I have my moon bulbs timed to turn on right after my fluorescent, at 9:00 p.m and they stay on until 9:00 a.m.