My Strawberry is going to drive me over the edge!!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Ellinj0206

My Strawberry is going to drive me over the edge!!

Post by Ellinj0206 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:49 pm

So, I have had my beautiful Strawberry Crab for about a year and a half now. All has been well, the tank temperatures and humidty have been consistent right where she likes them, I haven't changed the substrate...I give fresh and salt water every day---literally nothing has changed.

Over the past few weeks I have been boiling and putting in some new shells for her as it seems like her shell is getting small. I've rotated about 9 different shells....all larger, some just a smidge larger and others a little larger than that. Well, no matter what I do she just can't seem to find that "perfect shell" and goes back to her cruddy shell (even though three of them are almost identical to this shell, just larger).

To make a long story short, over the past month she has been out of her shell twice! UGH! It makes me panic stricken. I put her into ISO for a few hours last time because she immediately went back into her shell and seemed to be looking at her friends through the glass (it was really sad!!). Anyway, now about 3 weeks later she is out of her shell again. I have her in ISO now so that she is covered has 3 nice clean shells (including the old one) and nice moist sand (actually taken from the tank). Later on I'll throw a little honey and raisins in there (raisins are her favorite, she actually eats them from my hand!!).

I know this isn't a shell fight situation because I have seen her just leave her shell. The rest of my crabs aren't even close to her size and they all have some nice new shells they are sporting.

I also feel my conditions are fantastic and she has also seemed quite happy, active---eating, bathing, running around, climbing, etc. I feel really worried and frustrated! Ugh!

Anyone else have this experience with Strawberries? My PPs never do this!

:-(
El
Check out El's Shells: http://www.elsshells.com for all of your hermit crab food and shell needs!All-natural, certified organic food and an outstanding selection of shells and crabitat necessities---all at great prices!!

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:54 pm

I really dont understand why this could be? Have you checked for infections of any sort? I wish I could help, but Ive never had a crab leave his shell =/ Good luck tho!

Topic author
Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi Cheyenne,

I really took a good look at her today and no infections, definitely no bugs, and her eyes are nice and up and she's alert. She isn't throwing off the typical "sick crab" alarm, but obviously there's some issue! Crazy crabby! Hopefully she'll be OK in her ISO and calm down a little.

:-)
El
Check out El's Shells: http://www.elsshells.com for all of your hermit crab food and shell needs!All-natural, certified organic food and an outstanding selection of shells and crabitat necessities---all at great prices!!

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:02 pm

She just likes you to stress over her mommy, maybe shes trying to get attention lol :)

EDIT: I want a Straw but I am very weary of them because of all the stories like this that I've read hehe, seems they're so unpredictable.

Topic author
Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:09 pm

That's what my fiance says...she's like "mommy, I'm keeping you on your feet...you think you have this all figured out!" hahaha. She is absolutely beautiful, so friendly and loving. I actually hand feed her raisins and strawberries all the time, although raisins are her favorite. She'll just sit on my hand and eat them.

I hope she starts behaving herself!!!

Honestly, Strawberries are different to take care of, but I have to admit, I love her personality. She is ultra laid back (besides wrecking the tank). She is never aggressive, just a beautiful little girl :-)

Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed everyone (pretty please) :-)

burnin4Christ

Post by burnin4Christ » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:14 pm

when she pops out of her old one try boiling it. maybe there's something in there pocking her and that's why she keeps coming out.

Topic author
Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:16 pm

Good idea! I didn't even think of that!!

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:51 pm

[smilie=fingerscrossed.jpg] for ya

Topic author
Ellinj0206

Sad news

Post by Ellinj0206 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:05 am

Well folks, I have some sad news to report. My beautiful little girl---PepPep was her name, did not make it through the night. I ISOed her, gave her her favorite raisins and a little bit of honey. Three beautiful clean shells (including her old one), water and conditions that mimicked the tank in terms of heat and humidity. I even set her up so that she could see her friends and the sun (which she loves watching as it rises). I woke up this morning to find she had passed.

Also, on a complete aside, I had a UTH under her ISO tank (I've had it for about 5 years now). I went to take it out from under her tank and I heard a nice loud POP and a flame! The cord actually came unsoldered from the inside. My cats almost had a heart attack, but luckily enough for me I quickly was able to turn off power to the cord.

Anyway, a sad and eventful morning was had. I totally loved my little PepPep, but now she'll be on the beautiful white sands in hermie heaven :-(

Thanks for all of your support everyone!

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:35 am

Oh, El! I'm so sorry for you! [smilie=comfort.gif]

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:17 pm

El, I'm so sorry for your loss of PepPep. I'm sure you were a freat mommy to her, but it was just her time. :cry:

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:39 pm

I am so sorry....I know how it hurts! :cry:

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 am

I'm so sorry :(
At least you can find comfort in the fact that you took excellent care of her and made her life as pleasant as you could.

Christa

Post by Christa » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm terribly sad to hear about this. Strawberry crabs are a delicate and still-mysterious species, [smilie=hug.gif] If it's any help I've personally never been able to keep them alive as long as I have my other species. :(

((((EL))))

Christa
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com

Topic author
Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Thank you everyone! I'm feeling a little better today and I definitely know I gave it my all to try to make her better, but it wasn't meant to be!

Now my little guys are being even more spoiled! Hahaha

:-)
El