Woohooo! Two females with eggs! Update P.6! BABIES! (PPs)

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Happy Crabber

Re: Woohooo!! Two females with eggs!! Update P.6! BABIES!!

Post by Happy Crabber » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:06 am

He did!!!!!!!!!! And they are unbelievably cute!!!
AKA: hermitmommy
PP: Scieny, Hermione, Hermasaurus Rex, Kitty, Cat, Twyla, Jupiter
E: Lilly McDiggington, Thunder, Lightening, Pocito Tito, Universe, Dawn
Mom to 2 great little kids, and wife to a very understanding hubby

naalide

Post by naalide » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:30 am

hermitmommy wrote:He did!!!!!!!!!!
She did. ;)

@Crabbielover1031: The links are no html-side, they are pdf. Maybe your browser needs some extras to open them?
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:59 am

Curlz- Truly amazing!!

Wolf- have you heard from your hubby how the babies are doing? I need an update, I'm going through withdrawal! :D
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Crabbielover1031 wrote:Curlz, I couldn't view the links. :( But did you actually raise the larvae into little crabby babies yet?
You'll need Adobe Reader (free) http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Or a browser that does it automatically, like Chrome.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Curlz, thanks so much for being here! I think we can all learn a lot from you. It's very exciting that your crabs have eggs pretty much all the time. The people around here have only observed summer matings. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for you, but I have to read over your document again to make sure they aren't already answered there. I'm on vacation right now, so it's hard to find time to sit down and relax. :) I just hope you stick around here for a while.

Update on my babies:
My husband keeps doing water changes, but he says there are only a few live ones, and he doesn't know which stage they are in. He says most are dead on the crushed oyster shells. I told him he may not be seeing the glaucothoes on the bottom, but I dunno. He seems to think it's pretty much over. He said he is still going to do water changes until he sees no more live ones. I think with Curlz's information, I will modify my set up for next year a bit. :) I'm very excited to know for sure that it CAN be done outside of a lab. :D That's such great news.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:30 pm

(Just saw your edit, Curlz)

Of course, you may may use any of my photos and videos. :)
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Curlz, your babies are amazing! It gives crabbers hope that we may have a captive breeding program, and soon! :D And maybe one day everyone will own captive bred crabs and wild ones will be left alone. (although I forsee issues with crabby "mills" :( )
But the fact remains: it can be done! :wootjump: you managed, wolf got thisclose (and there's still hope for the last few), and wodesorel has batches of eggs just waiting to be laid. This is seriously the dawn of a completely new era for crabs and crab keepers everywhere! You guys are making history as we speak, and it's an honour to be here watching it :)

(And as a side note, I have a sweet spot for violas, would it be possible to post any more pictures of the babies on here? Pretty pretty pretty pretty pleeeease? :cloud9: )
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:22 pm

hi @ all

I did not expect this great response! Thank you :oops:

Yes it can be done. And I would like to read from naalide, wolfnipplechips and wodesorel ;)

This is wolf's thread and I interrupted it. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the last ones.
I will open a new thread with a short story about my terrariums. I was asked for it in the chat. And I will show some babie hermit pictures. ;)
Even it is not 100% proved if this little thingies really violas. Can be ruggies, clypies, blueberry or ecuadorian hermits instead...

back to topic:
@wolf: on the 3 of August the Glaucothoe seems to be very near to start searching for shells (mine start to examine shells on day 25).
The dead one laying at the money on one of your pictures is showing a nearly fully devoloped Glaucothoe. Mine looked not as fully devolepd as this one as they took shells. They took shells longer as some hours at day 32.
At this point we put them into a second tank with a water pool and sand. A treebrunch for climbing out the water.

At the moment the first larvae turns into Glaucothoe we start to feed mysis and krill (frosted mysis and frosted krill, that we have defrosted before feeding). I won't believe it, but the eat themselfs. The Glaucothoe eat the larvae which are about to molt to Glaucothoe. Real cannibals ;)
But as they got the mysis and krill the stop cannibalism.

There you can find the second tank (sorry it is in german, but I think the picture are explainig it enough (hopefully)): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxr0FH ... c0RocThnQQ
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Yes and there are a lot of things the same as in my experiment! :)
Without a helpful manual she did a great job :clap:

I start with round about 300 larvae (too much! I've planned to take 50) .... counting wasn't mine ;)

In the diagram on the last side of my sheet you can see the attrition rate. Approximately.
Rightside = number
Below = days

Blue = larvae
red = megalopa
green = megalopa move to land

I have tried to write it down like a diary. So that I can check what has happen at which day. But this is the short version. The each day version was too big to upload ;)
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

Crabbielover1031

Post by Crabbielover1031 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:07 pm

That's absolutely amazing Curlz! I'm on Chrome now and saw the pictures, they are sooooo amazingly cute! That's great you got Violas to breed! :wink:

What kind of crabs do you have access to over in Germany? Which kind is most commonly sold? Over here it's purple pinchers. :crabblush:
I have 8 crabs available for adoption, please PM me if interested.

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:03 am

good morning,

with a bit of luck you can get nearly all kinds of hermits. Except scaevola (arabian), variabilis (australian), cavipes (concave ?), spinosus (spinner?). Sometimes you can find one of thess real rare ones between the other sorts. But extremely rare chance,
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:11 am

I can't imagine Herbit eating his siblings. He is just so passive and peaceful. He is so passive, that when all the hermits were fighting over a log spot (there is plenty of room), Herbit went in his shell and Friendlyfeat, of all crabs, actually picked him up and scooted him out of the log and left him there. That's how passive Herbit is, even the unfriendly ones protect him. Maybe as a baby he was a completely different hermit lolz.
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Crabbielover1031

Post by Crabbielover1031 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:21 pm

annopia has a C. Scaveola (I don't think I spelled that right...) and it's gorgeous! It has molted with her a few times too!

I find it odd that you can't get C.Variabilis, since we can get strawberries (C. Perlatus) over here in the U.S., and they come Australia and Japan, and Micronesia.

Am I confusing you when I say Aussie, Blueberry, Strawberry? :anon:

Crabbielover1031

Post by Crabbielover1031 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:25 pm

And I forgot to ask you, Curlz, could I please have permission to share your pictures on my Facebook page for my hermit crab rescue? I own Caring Claws Hermit Crab Rescue, and I've been updating everyone with baby news! So could I use some of your pictures? I would give you credit, of course! Would you like me to use your name, or just "Curlz of HCA"?

And another question: If you walk into a store, and they have hermies, they have all different kinds? We only have either C. Clypeatus, C. Compressus (hard to find depending where you live), and C. Perlatus (pretty hard to find, you usually have to order them).

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Crabbielover1031 wrote: I find it odd that you can't get C.Variabilis, since we can get strawberries (C. Perlatus) over here in the U.S., and they come Australia and Japan, and Micronesia.
Australia doesn't allow the export of variabilis (Aussie Crab or Crazy Crab), which is why no one outside of that country can get them. One person had a trial permit to export them to one person in the US to see if it was something that Australia was comfortable with allowing, but it was only good for a few shipments and it hasn't been renewed.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram