Woohooo! Two females with eggs! Update P.6! BABIES! (PPs)

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Curlz

Re: Woohooo!! Two females with eggs!! Update P.6! BABIES!!

Post by Curlz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:08 pm

hm isn't it better to split up the questions about german questions off of wolfs breeding thread?

thx @ wodesorel: that's why we can't get variabilis *sigh* :(
But we can get enough other amazing hermits. So it is not that sad

perlatus also available at some other states, where it is allow to import...

@crabbielover1031: no, I know most of the names for hermit types :)
You can use my pictures, but please add a "copyright by Curlz" to the pictures at your side.

it depends ob what our animal stores get. Most of them only can buy "land hermit mix". Even they don't know which kind of hermits they will get from their import dealer.
But that's ok. Nearly all hermit shops do not know which sort they are selling.
It seems to be that there is an import shop getting hermits from south america (PP and ecuadorian). And one from Asia or Indonesian for all other sorts.
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/

naalide

Post by naalide » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Crabbielover1031 wrote:And another question: If you walk into a store, and they have hermies, they have all different kinds? We only have either C. Clypeatus, C. Compressus (hard to find depending where you live), and C. Perlatus (pretty hard to find, you usually have to order them).
Most animal-stores have only one species or maybe 2-3. So you can't expect to go to a store and get every species you like. Many stores have no crabs at all.
Mostly you can get PPs, Indos and rugs in Germany, with some luck violas and whit a lot of luck CCs, straws or purpureus. But there are some internet-shops that sell most of the species Curlz listed. We have also trade fairs in some tons especially for terraria-stuff and terraria-animals.
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)

kuza

Post by kuza » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:25 pm

I find perlatus the most fascinating and I was lucky to get the ones I have.

Crabbielover1031

Post by Crabbielover1031 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:27 pm

wodesorel wrote: Australia doesn't allow the export of variabilis (Aussie Crab or Crazy Crab), which is why no one outside of that country can get them. One person had a trial permit to export them to one person in the US to see if it was something that Australia was comfortable with allowing, but it was only good for a few shipments and it hasn't been renewed.
Oh, I didn't know that!! Thanks Wode!!! :clap:
I have 8 crabs available for adoption, please PM me if interested.

Crabbielover1031

Post by Crabbielover1031 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:30 pm

naalide wrote: Most animal-stores have only one species or maybe 2-3. So you can't expect to go to a store and get every species you like. Many stores have no crabs at all.
Mostly you can get PPs, Indos and rugs in Germany, with some luck violas and whit a lot of luck CCs, straws or purpureus. But there are some internet-shops that sell most of the species Curlz listed. We have also trade fairs in some tons especially for terraria-stuff and terraria-animals.
Wow, that's cool that ruggies are common! I think they're SO cute!

Crabbielover1031

Post by Crabbielover1031 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Curlz wrote:hm isn't it better to split up the questions about german questions off of wolfs breeding thread?

thx @ wodesorel: that's why we can't get variabilis *sigh* :(
But we can get enough other amazing hermits. So it is not that sad

perlatus also available at some other states, where it is allow to import...

@crabbielover1031: no, I know most of the names for hermit types :)
You can use my pictures, but please add a "copyright by Curlz" to the pictures at your side.

it depends ob what our animal stores get. Most of them only can buy "land hermit mix". Even they don't know which kind of hermits they will get from their import dealer.
But that's ok. Nearly all hermit shops do not know which sort they are selling.
It seems to be that there is an import shop getting hermits from south america (PP and ecuadorian). And one from Asia or Indonesian for all other sorts.
Okay, thank you for the permission! I just shared your whole album, if that's okay... :oops: :lol: . I wrote Copyright of Curlz on the post. :D

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Just wanted to say all my babies are dead. talked to my husband last night and he said as of Aug 10th morning, none were alive. He said he checked thoroughly. :( The glaucothoes never lasted more than a couple days (maybe not the right food).

Maybe next year. I know stuff I will do different, so that's good. That was my original goal- to learn as much as possible! :)

As for all you thread-jackers, you should probably take your convos elsewhere. I don't mind it being on here, personally, but there is a rule about thread-jacking. ;)

So thanks SO MUCH to all of you for your support during these 4 weeks. It has helped me a lot. :) I appreciate it. Someday, I will have baby pics like Curlz! :D Who is pretty much my new hero. :lol:
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:45 pm

wolfnipplechips wrote:JMaybe next year. I know stuff I will do different, so that's good. That was my original goal- to learn as much as possible! :)
absolutely right!
We tried 3 times without results. Than, after speaking with marine breeders and their idea to try a kreiseltank, it works. I don't know if this was a "one try wonder". We will see next time. We are prepaired for the next try after holiday.
wolfnipplechips wrote: As for all you thread-jackers, you should probably take your convos elsewhere. I don't mind it being on here, personally, but there is a rule about thread-jacking. ;)
Maybe you can cut them off an create a new thread?
wolfnipplechips wrote: I will have baby pics like Curlz! :D Who is pretty much my new hero. :lol:

*smile* no not a hero. Only a hermit fan with help and luck.

BUT: I will see baby pics like mine in here! Please don't give up!
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Ah wolf. :( I'm so sorry. I get that we both new it was a high likelihood, but it still must hurt. Heck, I'm all sad now and they weren't even mine. *hugs*

You were almost there!! Dead krill for the little ones next year when they hit glaucothoes stage and I'm sure you will have them out and walking. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:54 pm

So sorry, Wolf. :( I'm sure you are upset that they didn't make it. Personally, I think you had a fantastic first try and got them pretty far along! Plus, the pictures you took and the documentation of the process are wonderful information for anyone else wanting to give it a try.
Owner of 4 PPs

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:02 pm

:( so sorry Wolf, but I am sure next time will be better. You have learned so much during this journey and have helped wode prepare I'm sure. You will have babies like Curlz one day I just know it!
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Wolf, you did a FANTASTIC job. I am so excited to see what next year brings! Enjoy what's left of your vacation/trip. Talk to ya soon ;-)

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:37 pm

You achieved your goal, and then some! We now have amazing documentation of the growth process and even a video of spawning! That's something we never had before :D and I tip my hat to you, regardless of the results :)
Now go enjoy your time with Tiger :D you deserve a break-big time! :lol:
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Crabbielover1031

Post by Crabbielover1031 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:55 pm

As for all you thread-jackers, you should probably take your convos elsewhere. I don't mind it being on here, personally, but there is a rule about thread-jacking.
:oops: :anon: Sorry. :cry:

But I'm SOOO sincerely happy you got this far! You shouldn't bum yourself out, cuz we're all happy for you! :D

I'm sorry if we made you feel like Curlz was more important than you. :( I feel bad, and again, I'm sorry. I would kinda be upset if that happened to me and then everyone else paid attention to someone else just because I didn't happen to succeed in my expectations.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Crabbielover, I am not offended by anything. :D :hug: :hug: It's awesome what Curlz has done, and fantastic that she came here to share her knowledge on this board and in my thread. :) We (the hermit crab lovers of the world) are a team working together, and will never be competing for anything like that. We should just keep this thread talking about crab breeding...that's all. :) Just gotta stay on subject so people who want to read this thread in the future for info on breeding attempts don't have to sort through other stuff. I still love you! :)
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish