TOTE TUTORIAL~ 8D

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Yuka

TOTE TUTORIAL~ 8D

Post by Yuka » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Yo yo yo, in all my time here at the HCA, I've noticed a distinct lack of tote crabitats. A lot of people, especially newbies, seem to think that crabs HAVE to be kept in a tank, at least that's what I noticed However, that is not the case. 8) Totes are the perfect solution for people who cannot afford upgrades for their teeny tiny 10 gallons or are students (like me!) who have to either move their crabs from residence to home or just can't afford that gleaming 100g you saw on kijiji. Plus they are used extensively in the reptile hobby and my larger crestie, Treeko, is kept in a tote too. So without further ado, here is my "clean" HCA tutorial as I set up my second tote, bringing me up to about 80G. 8D Watch out for it on tumblr where I base it off the waffle ice cream sandwich tutorial. ;D

STEP ONE: GET THAT BEAUTIFUL CLEAR TOTE AND DRILL SO MANY HOLES IN IT, YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE LOOKING FOR LIQUID GOLD. OR YOU DID WHAT I DID WITH THE OTHER TOTES AND TURN GHETTO WITH THE LIGHTER AND THE SCREWDRIVER. KIDDIES, HAVE YOUR PARENTS DO THAT.

STEP TWO: ADD AND SOAK EE CUZ THAT STUFF BE GREEDY FO' WATER. SHOULD'VE BEEN A SEPARATE PIC BUT THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LEAVE THE NON-CRAB PEOPLE TO DO STUFF FOR YOU.

STEP THREE: ADD YOUR BODYWEIGHT IN SAND.

STEP FOUR: BUILD SAND TURTLE.

STEP FIVE: ADD ALL YOUR OTHER STUFF CUZ THIS IS WHERE I GOT LAZY AND SAID SCREW IT. STICK ON YOUR UTH AND ADD CRABS.Image

Awwwwwwwe yeeeeeee. 8)
The only cons about this are the lack of LARGE sizes and you don't get as much climbing height. Mine can still climb so they're not squished up against the lid but I think the pros make it worth it. 8D
6 Eccentric Es 8 Placid PPs 2 Stunning Straws 2 Intrepid Indos
3 cats: Maya, Hamish and Nala
4 crested geckos: Treeko, Widget, Chloe and Pickle 1 corn snake: Lola

kuza

Re: TOTE TUTORIAL~ 8D

Post by kuza » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:57 pm

haha cute read! Could you stick a tote upside down on top of your tote and cut out the top for access? You might get more climbing room, and it wouldn't have to be the same height, you could get one with the same size around but just shorter.

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:13 pm

You probably could, I've never had the time to figure out how to make a good fitting lid for it though. If anyone wants to try that out and it works, lemme know! :D

Amethyst

Post by Amethyst » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Can I give my sand turtle a lion's tail, or would that disrupt the process?

KittyKatt

Post by KittyKatt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:16 pm

ok so if you get a second one to add height that means you would cut the bottom off for access. Well if you cut it just right you can modify it some and use it as a lid for the tote... Maybe that could work??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I will love my struggles, for they have made me strong!!
5 wonderful E's, 4 amazing PP's, 1 spectacular MHC (thin striped hermit crab) 2 silly dogs, 20ish crazy cats, 3 lazy ferrets, and a wonderful understanding husband :)
RIP to Aramis my female E and RIP to Price, our old man ferret <3

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:24 pm

aww, will sand tortiose work instead of a turtle? :hlol:
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:28 pm

can't totes just stack on top of each other??? Then cut off the bottom and cut off most of the lid - but needs a lip for support and then it is a super high tote.. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Amethyst wrote:Can I give my sand turtle a lion's tail, or would that disrupt the process?
Only if you give it a second head, otherwise yes, it will disrupt the process. Another alternative is the sand tortoise, as Chelsea mentioned ;)

In theory, I do believe the two totes on top of each other would work, however I don't have any desire to try it out right now. Being poor, I don't wish to experiment because although cheap, I don't have the money to throw away on a tote in case I screw up. If anyone else wants to do it, then by all means go ahead. :D This is just the basic tutorial to combat those who think that setting up a tote is more work than setting up a tank. ^.^

jMarie0510

Post by jMarie0510 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:27 am

Bumping this for when I set up my new tub enclosure!
/i]Four PPs: Crusher, Fiddlesticks, Mr. crabs, and my tiny baby Sheldon.
Two wonderful dogs: Maximus, red brindle pit bull, and Bubble, Maltese/yorky
Two awesome cats: Weezy F. Kitty, and Teddy Bear
One very loving and understanding boyfriend: my Wendell . The love of my life!

MustLoveShells

Post by MustLoveShells » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:45 am

I forgot the sand turtle, my babies I failed yoooooooooooooou! :(

I actually have my ruggies/PP tank as a storage box and am planning on adding a second identical one when they get bigger to give more height *if* I can work out the logistics of it. I have enough trouble getting into the viola tank since it is high up and you have to each down in. :oops:
Crabby Cravings UK hermit crab shop: http://www.crabbycravings.co.uk
9 Coenobita violascens: Rupert, Sky, Vandal, Oliver, Ninja, Valentina, Psycho, Ellimere
7 Coenobita rugosus: Elf, Gimli, Kili and Fili, Panda, Lilo
4Coenobita brevimanus Smartie, Peanut,Unnamed
1 Coenobita clypeatus: Tara

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:17 am

It's.... so....awesome O3o
I think the tote thing would only work if their lid was the same dimensions as their footprint, since most are made to stack inside of eachother and have a smaller footprint than their lid. However a connecting tube might be a very easy thing to do since it's all plastic 8)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Omigod MLS, you horrible person! D: You're gonna have to start from scratch! The sand turtle is ESSENTIAL, gosh darn it!

A connecting tube would be cool too, seal that sucker in place with aquarium silicone and be like, "Whuddup guys, today you're all hamsters." :lol:

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Great job! I used a huge tote for a while last summer. I added screening and well....they escaped a lot! If I ever do it again I'll drill a bunch of holes like you have. I also use a tote for one of my cresties, Calcifer. :D

Kuza, awesome idea using another tote flipped over on top to add height!

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:59 pm

I now know what to do with my old tote in my room! MORE CRABBIES!!! :D
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:59 pm

What a cute read :) Like the creativity.
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)