Molting in Tank Decor?

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Topic author

Molting in Tank Decor?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:40 pm

I have mostly micro/small hermit crabs, all PP's, and I keep a very large shell in the tank for decoration. It is all natural, but it is much larger than even my largest crab's shell. Well, I have had one of my crabs block the entrance to the large shell with the back of the shell on their back, and molt in the bigger shell. Allow me to clarify. It's as if the jumbo shell is just sitting there, and a hermit crab, shell and all, walk face first into the jumbo shell, while at the same time keeping their shell on their back, and then molt in the bigger shell as if it were a tunnel. I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this yet, because 2 of mine have done it and they are so cute. It's also pretty easy to iso them, since all I have to do is pick up the jumbo shell and move it :-)

Topic author
GSnicklegrove

Molting in Tank Decor?

Post by GSnicklegrove » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:41 am

lolLots of my crabs like to both sleep and moult in bigger seashells.In fact, one of my crabs, Little Pine, only moults in big seashells. I have been through maybe ten moults at least with him, and he has never once buried. He only moults in seashells. lolGertie