Air Circulation Techniques

Archived information regarding the proper control and maintenance of your crabitat.

Crabby Wendy

Post by Crabby Wendy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:53 pm

On another string, I happened to make a comment about some mold in my tank and I had one response recommending a humidifier/air circulator. I went ahead and ordered it, but it got me to thinking. The humidity in the tank is just about right, with the lid just about closed all the way. I was wondering if the humidity was going to go off the chart with the humidifier added in - I guess I could just leave the lid flap all the way open? I noticed the air in my tank is pretty stagnant - are there any other ways to provide air cirulation in the tank besides a humidifier in case what I ordered doesn't work?
Crabby Wendy
...definitely a 55 gallon tank in my future.... coming soon... very, very soon....

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:05 am

What kind of lid do you have? I use a screen lid and cover it with a double layer of taped-on Glad Press and Seal and leave a small square for air circulation. Never had a problem with mold by doing this. Don't crack your lid as crabs have been known to escape this way.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:40 am

I have heavy glass lids for my 129gallon and I usually keep one open just a tad for proper air circulation with something weighty sitting on top to keep my crabs from being able to push the lid up and climb out.I've not had any problem with mold just a little algae in the water dish.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Crabby Wendy

Post by Crabby Wendy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:27 am

I have full aquarium hood for a 20 gallon long. Keeping it closed except for maybe 1/8 inch seems to hold my humidity and heat kinda steady, sometimes on the lower end of the recommended range, sometimes on the higher end, so I find myself completely closing the lid when things for, or opening it a little more to bring the humidity down as needed - always fussing with it a little. Because it's an aquarium hood, there is an area on the back side that has sort of a pre-punched piece that you can punch out to attach the water filter. It's about 1 1/2 - 2 inches from the back corner of the tank where the silicone is. I'm thinking it would be pretty darn hard for my little guys to get to and escape. I was thinking about punching that piece out to let some air in.... but then I'm afraid my humidity will plummet. Anyway, I'm real unhappy with the way the air in the tank seems so stagnant - I want to get some fresh air in there for the little guys. I was hoping that somebody was gonna tell me "Oh yeah, there's this little air circulation unit you can buy - here's the link"!! Haha! My crabs are totally inactive except for my guy Frances who finally found a shell he likes, I'm guessing, since he has kept it on for 2 weeks. I see him moving around slowly, but he is going to the food and water dishes and helping himself to a meal. No climbing or anything though. Just trying to figure out what they need to get them up and going, feel like something is lacking - so I'm wondering about the air circulation now. I swear, I'm gonna keep trying whatever I can to get this crabitat perfect for them! The way I spend money on them, you would think money is no issue for me! Ha!$25 - $30 bucks worth of crabs, $500 dollars on set-ups, specialty foods and shells. I've lost my mind from hermie fever! Really. Anyway, your thoughts and suggestions on air circulation are needed and most welcome! Thanks in advance!
Crabby Wendy
...definitely a 55 gallon tank in my future.... coming soon... very, very soon....

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 am

I would not recommend removing the tabs on the back of the hood as hermitcrabs are very skilled at climbing the silicone they will find their way to the opening and escape no question about it.Using a humidifier wont help circulate the air instead it will just make the air more damp which would cause more mold growth so who ever told you to use one was off on their information but no worries you can use an aquarium air pump with some tubing to introduce some fresh air into the enclosure.I would recommend getting the biggest air pump you can and then puncturing the tubing with a safety pin as this will give you the air circulation you need without having to spend a ton of money and remember the stronger the air pump the better the air flow through the pin holes in the tubing will be.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:52 am

Actually, there is a little air circulation thing you can buy - it's a computer fan! You cover it with something crab safe like needlepoint canvas and hang it in the aquarium however you like - I used zip ties. I will get you a pic when I get home.Thing is, circulating the air like that definitely seems to drop the humidity so your humidifier/circulator might be better anyway.I used the fan when I had a large salt water pool with a filter in it - my humidity went WAY up and the fan brought it back down. That pool sprung a leak so I have a smaller size now and don't have issues with high humidity so I took the fan out.
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:58 am

With the PC fan your going to have some of the electrical cord inside the enclosure so your going to need to cover that as well to keep the crabs from pinching/nibbling on it and electrocuting themselves.
#Autism Speaks.

finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm

My pc fan came with a cover on the cord so that was not a problem. I also mounted the whole thing out of the reach of the crabs at the very top & middle of the terrarium.Here is the pic as promised: http://s1051.photobucket.com/u...neJuly ... htmlScroll ahead I took a few pics.
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:42 pm

@finalfantasyxii, that doesn't look like a standard power cord so how are you powering the fan did you have get an attachment for it?
#Autism Speaks.

finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:32 am

It's whatever the fan came with but it's made to plug into the inside of a computer power supply. My husband had to do something to it so it'd plug into the wall. But he did that further down. There's a plastic cover that slides over the cord that is also not in the pic
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 am

@finalfantasyxii, yeah I though the power cable looked like it only attached to a pc power supply which is why I asked.lolI've seen these fans modded with all sorts of attachments like led lights, speed switches and different power taps so the fan can plug into regular outlets, usb ports, pc power supplies and such.
#Autism Speaks.

finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:42 am

I think we bought a cord for him to use... I don't know he does that stuff. Thank goodness for handy husbands! I guess it might not be as easy as I made it sound. I forgot a step because I didn't have to do it!! LOL
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:49 am

The pc fans are easy to mod for use with a normal outlet but ya have to know what your doing otherwise the fan can become overloaded and you'll only end up with a burnt out fan motor.
#Autism Speaks.

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:36 pm

The humidifiers I use (tropicaire) are powered by air pumps rated for twice the size of the tank. They create just as much air circulation as an air pump, since they are an air pump. (Since I have a 92g tank, I use two humidifiers, each powered by a 60 gallon rated air pump, so I have 120g air pump total capacity).As part of my tank cleaning I always test the humidifier tubing that goes into the tank. I put a plastic bag around the tube and then time how long it takes to fill up the bag. If the bag fills up slow that means it's time to replace the airstone that's in the tropicaire.With a good new airstone, the plastic bag will inflate rapidly, proving that there's a lot of airflow going into the tank. But the main benefit is that it's very moist, humid air, so you do not lose humidity in conjunction with the air flow, it helps maintain it.Plus now you can increase the amount by which the lid is propped open, because you're pumping in fresh humid air constantly, so the air will stay at proper humidity while still providing airflow.Without a humidifier, I had to keep my tank lid barely 1/4 inch propped in order to maintain humidity, and then the air was very stale. With a humidifier, I can prop the tank lid open by 3 inches and the air always smells fresh and maintains humidity.A good humidifier is the best combo solution to both airflow and humidity problems. But more airflow is always good so I also recommend anything else you can muster up, such as fans or additional air pumps. For humidity, foggers and misters can provide temporary boosts, but can't be left on continuously like a humidifier can.Dumping an airstone in a water bowl or cup can create an intank humidifer. However, the benefit of using an external humidifier is that you can direct where the air is entering via the tubing. I make sure to route the tubing to the back corners of the tank. This prevents the air from stagnating in the back areas, and the air will flow all through the tank on its way out the lid.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.