smell.....?

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

crablab

smell.....?

Post by crablab » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:41 pm

I have a quick question I have 4 crabs all down for a molt right now. Well tonight I was rearranging the top soil and discovered some legs and a crab I picked him up and he had bright orange legs but wasn't moving I think he may have just molted I gave him a quick he smell and he smelled but NOT dead fish I know that smell from one of my crabs dying before he smelled kind of like mold maybe??? I quickly buried him again and decided to do some research. Anyone have any thoughts on the smell?
Boston Strong :)

Topic author
Crabber85

smell.....?

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:14 am

Its never recommended to re-bury hermitcrabs as this can lead to them suffocating since they have to create or carve pockets in the substrate which allows them to breathe.I'm not familiar with the smell you described so I can't really be of much help but as this post is late I don't know how things have turned out for you so I can't comment further.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.