Repetitive streaking

Where to post and/or get advice if your hermit crab has dropped its seashell. If your crab has molted AND gone naked, please post in the Molting forum.

beka

Repetitive streaking

Post by beka » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:19 am

Hi all, long time no see....crabber85, hello to you I'm on today after a week or so of a streaking off and on crab. Santa, who we can remember if we've had almost 1, or almost 2, years, is running around naked! Here are the deets:The tank is 30 gal, half fiber-half sand combo, idling between 80-85 (not often) degrees and 70% humidity. I'm giving them UVA/b lighting and a wide range I nutritious edibles and of course the 2 types of water....When we bough Santa he was a micro and only now is he more of a tiny. I kind of feel like he is too small for his age he is also super pale, like ghostly pale, despite the diet that has been keeping everyone else stunning shades of purple, red, orange, gray, etc. He'd lost his bp back in the winter but grew it back with the next molt. Last week I saw him hanging out shell less and noticed that his shell was stuck in their large shell that is used as the community toilet! I pulled it out and put it next to him and he went right in. Four, or so, days later he was naked again. I couldn't find his shell (won't dig since I've got 3+ molters) so I isoed him over night and bought new shells (ps he had other small options in the tank too but thy were all burried) I put 3 new shells in the ISO including one that was the exact same. He's a pp but prefers the D shaped opening shells, and he chose a different one. I let him be alone over night again and then returned him to the main tank yesterday. (Note: ISO food provided was honey, PB, spirulina, nutritional yeast and cantaloupe). Today I peek in there and he's out! He's by the shell and another one, just messing around with the sub and digging a little....None of the typical reasons seem to be the right one for him. Looking for insight!
Hermit crab stalker and owner of 6 PPs: HHHC (F) & HHH, Santa Clause (M), Pearl (F) Zelda, Link
6 Es: Krispey Kreme (F), Money Maker Mike, Ms Clause (M), Hermie 10 (M), stitch
RIP Lobby the Straw (cheetah and squinty) and sandra d, milo, s2

Topic author
jenok

Repetitive streaking

Post by jenok » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Is he continually getting stuck in the bigger shell and maybe one of the bigger ones moving the shell out of the way? It is possible that the tank is too warm especially if your thermometer is off. I've read sometimes they come out of the shell if they're getting too hot. Does it seem to have a sore on it that maybe the shell is rubbing making it hurt? That's all that comes to mind right now.

beka

Repetitive streaking

Post by beka » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:11 pm

J, I appreciate your response and suggestions to look for! I have looked at his abdomine and tail(booty) as well as I can and I did not see anything that looked suspicious. I feelPretty darn sure the therm is right. I keep it at 81 in the house during the day. Now I just don't know about his other shell...if someone was moving it or whatever. Right now it's mia
Hermit crab stalker and owner of 6 PPs: HHHC (F) & HHH, Santa Clause (M), Pearl (F) Zelda, Link

Crabber85

Repetitive streaking

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:40 am

It sounds like your crab maybe to weak to carry a shell especially because of the physical description you've given the pale coloration, the lack of size gain.I'm thinking theirs a physical issue going on here maybe internal but whatever the case it sounds like he's just to weak to keep the shell on.Your doing the only thing I can suggest which is to iso and watch and wait.Continuing to offer organic peanut butter, raw honey and mushed bananas he should begin to turn around.Oh and hello to you to.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

beka

Repetitive streaking

Post by beka » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:45 am

Yeah....I suppose that may actually be what's going on. I'll try to snap a pic of him next time he's shell less. Today he's back in one of his preferred ones. It was stressing me out so badly I had a crab nightmare that they all fried up

Crabber85

Repetitive streaking

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:19 am

@beka, I can't really say I know what your going through as I've never had a repeat streaker and the very few crabs I have had to streak were all sufferers of poor or bad molts which caused them to be too weak to carry a shell afterwards, in my case they all quickly went back down for a recovery molt and came out fit as a fiddle and rearing to go.I do however understand your anxiety over the situation and feel for you but theres not much more I can tell you to do than your already doing, just hang in there you can do it.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.