I think I have eggs?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

I think I have eggs?

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:13 am

I was watching Merle change shells last night, and noticed a bumpy mass stuck to their abdomen. I don't think it was a molt sac, as I've seen my other crabs change shells while carrying molt sacs. Those were yellowy-white and not bumpy, this was tan-gray and as I've already stated, bumpy. Do you think it's possible that they are carrying eggs? I just adopted them so wouldn't they have dropped them due to stress in the car ride or would they continue to hang on to it? Is it possible for egg-carrying crabs to change shells while they're carrying?
Edit - Now that I think about it, the likelihood of Merle being female seems pretty strong. I've read that females tend to be more hairy than males, and Merle happens to be significantly hairier than the rest of my crabs.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I think I have eggs?

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:28 am

I'm going to tag @Renroc on this one.

I've heard that males are more hairy, but you really can't go by just that. They carry the eggs until they are developed. You didn't happen to notice the pleopods? Only females have pleopods.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:31 am

No idea sorry coz each lot of zoea I've had no idea mine even had eggs. First I knew was when I saw things in the salt pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:45 am

I haven't checked for gonopods nor pleopods no. I didn't look for them because I was focused on the mass. I may check for gonopores tonight, I haven't properly sexed any of my crabs as I never really felt the need to. I don't think (if they are carrying) that I'm going to attempt this one, due to having an old house and a large family I wouldn't be able to accommodate the wattage of a water heater for a (makeshift) kriseltank.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:11 am

Another way you can kinda guess gender is that male pps tend to be much darker than females. And if they are carrying I would go for it! It could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to raise baby crabs!

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:32 pm

I may try if they end up dropping... I found a 25 watt 5 gallon water heater, and am wondering how well that would work if I used a vase or plastic fish bowl for holding the actual zoea. I think that should work especially since I won't have to fill up the tank all the way... as far as saltwater goes would instant ocean work? I can't afford to get them live food, so I think I will take after Renroc and try some kind of betta/fish flakes. If I remember correctly the steps to make a siphon for water changes is covered in a previous post I made. For water circulation I could steal the crab's air stone. Anything else?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:39 pm

As dedicated as you are, and how you research everything ~ you can do it! You have to tag @Renroc for questions. Good luck!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:47 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:I may try if they end up dropping... I found a 25 watt 5 gallon water heater, and am wondering how well that would work if I used a vase or plastic fish bowl for holding the actual zoea. I think that should work especially since I won't have to fill up the tank all the way... as far as saltwater goes would instant ocean work? I can't afford to get them live food, so I think I will take after Renroc and try some kind of betta/fish flakes. If I remember correctly the steps to make a siphon for water changes is covered in a previous post I made. For water circulation I could steal the crab's air stone. Anything else?
Have a look at my thread for my set up. It wasn't complicated at all and it worked.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:57 pm

You got this PinchersandShells! I want dibs on buying a baby!!!

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:07 pm

I was searching for betta food that is available. As far as ingredients go, how does this one sound? "1-1/2mm pellet - Krill, Shrimp, Fish, Herring, Squid, Spirulina blue-green algae, Green Pea, Rice Meal, Wheat Flour, Distillers Dried Grains with Soluables and Brewers Dried Yeast."

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Is that for while they are in the water? It sounds like lots of variety so you would probably have less problems with picky baby's. Anything further on the eggs? Do you know they are there for sure?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:11 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:I was searching for betta food that is available. As far as ingredients go, how does this one sound? "1-1/2mm pellet - Krill, Shrimp, Fish, Herring, Squid, Spirulina blue-green algae, Green Pea, Rice Meal, Wheat Flour, Distillers Dried Grains with Soluables and Brewers Dried Yeast."
You need to tag @Renroc for advice! :) Only she knows! :)

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:27 pm

This worked for me

But this was even better because it is finer but remember I'm in Australia so brands might be different here. Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 pm

I know that we have Hikari here. I use that for my Parrot Cichlid.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:54 am

Hermiearth wrote:Another way you can kinda guess gender is that male pps tend to be much darker than females. And if they are carrying I would go for it! It could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to raise baby crabs!

I just want to clarify for everyone that the only real way to tell gender is the gonopores/pleopods. Otherwise, it is completely up to chance on their colors, hairiness, etc. :)