Thermostat Thoughts?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Fledgling

Thermostat Thoughts?

Post by Fledgling » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 am

So as I'm preparing my 10 gal tank for 2 crabbies, I'm realizing that maintaining the proper temperature is going to be a challenge here in Wisconsin...I'm strongly considering investing in a thermostat (seeing how much money I've already put into these crabs I don't have yet, what's a little more? ;P).

So here's my question: What are your thermostats of choice? Should I stick to reptile specific stats or would multipurpose ones work well? What is the most inexpensive, quality option?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Thermostat Thoughts?

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:09 am

I have one made by Zilla and I love it. I think it was $25. Two heat source plug ins. Purchased it off of Amazon. On phone, can't post a link, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:05 pm

I don't use a thermostat. I use a rheostat by zoomed. This also controls two heat sources. This is basically a dimmer for lights (not UVB) or other heat sources such as ultratherm heat pads. This has a manual knob to adjust the heat/light source whereas a thermostat will cut heat source completely on/off at a certain temp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001OVD7 ... s=rheostat

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Here's the one I use. GB recommended it to me. Works great! Zilla Reptile Terrarium Heat & Habitat Lighting Temp. Controller,1000W

https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile-Te ... B002CZ0J3E

I set it on 80F, and I get temps from 80-83F. It's on a PID feedback loop, which means it monitors the temperature during operation, and when the temperature exceeds a limit (83F I guess), it shuts anything plugged into it off until the temperature falls below a certain value (80F I guess). Then it turns anything plugged into it back on again. It has a red indicator light to show that it's plugged in and receiving electricity (stays on all the time), and a green light to show when whatever is plugged into it (my Ultratherm) is receiving power. Really easy to check with a glance if it's working across the room in the dark.

The peace of mind is great. Totally worth the $24 or so I paid. I haven't had any problems with the crabs messing with the thermostat sensor wiring, but I have a piece of plastic tubing I plan to cover the wiring with if it ever becomes a problem.

Other thermostats might work just as well. This is the only one I have experience with, and I'm happy with it.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks @Hermias_mom! I just logged onto the computer to post the link. :) Being that I live in Florida I prefer the thermostat to the rheostat. It already is getting into the 90s here. I have an entire room for my crabs, three tanks are crab tanks and one is a reptile tank. The room that they are in is warm. I usually don't need UTHs for the summer, so that is why I went with the thermostat. To each's own though :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've got a bit of shopping to do...:)

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:48 am

Just throwing this out there - There is such a thing as a proportional thermostat, which is basically an automatic rheostat. It adjusts the power going to the heating unit up and down to control the temperature you set, without switching the power completely off and on like a thermostat does. It costs more than a plain thermostat or rheostat, but because it's not doing hard on and off the heating unit in theory will last longer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:43 am

wodesorel wrote:Just throwing this out there - There is such a thing as a proportional thermostat, which is basically an automatic rheostat. It adjusts the power going to the heating unit up and down to control the temperature you set, without switching the power completely off and on like a thermostat does. It costs more than a plain thermostat or rheostat, but because it's not doing hard on and off the heating unit in theory will last longer.

Interesting Wode. I've never heard of that. Do you have a link of one that you recommend?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:57 am

Vivarium Electronics, RANCO, and Helix are all names I see talked about a lot.

Reptile basics has a write up on what they are and how they work. http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostat_faq

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Cool! So it's like a rheostat (a dimmer) but you don't have to do the work manually. It does it for you.... I have always used a rheostat. I only have to adjust the knob between seasons (winter/summer). My UVB lights provide enough heat during the day for 84° with no UTH. I only run the UTH on low at night to maintain 80° for a natural drop in temp. It's summer here so it's setup a little different during the winter.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Last edited by daws409 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Nice! Thanks Wode :)

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 pm

wodesorel wrote:Vivarium Electronics, RANCO, and Helix are all names I see talked about a lot.

Reptile basics has a write up on what they are and how they work. http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostat_faq

Awesome!!! Thanks Wode!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena