I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:40 am

OH MY GOSH....I am not prepared at all...they are all alive. I just cleaned my pools due to hurricane Irma. @mlakers...HELP!!! LOL I have a 5 gallon saltwater tank set up that is established with a piece of live rock, but the filter would kill them. What do I do?????????!!!! Egads!!!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiearth

Re: I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:13 pm

OMG KEEP US UPDATED!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:31 pm

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

(gasp,)

... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

:banana:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Had to be more than one female - I have SO MANY many zoea!!! I took my old betta bowl that is a gallon and dumped the msw pool into it. Has to be hundreds, if not thousands swimming. Their eyes are adorable!!! There is about 1/2 of them still in the original msw pool. I added fresh msw to it - which was room temp - and I thought I killed them. Luckily I guess I just shocked them. I put the msw pool back in the tank and they are all swimming again. I'm getting ready to read up on mlakers post - don't know what to feed these guys. I'm a mess - been working on my garden (getting it back in order after Irma) - and had just come in cool off for a minute and made this discovery. My husband's response..."You are keeping them in water? Won't they drown?" :hlol: Relax the shoulders..deep breaths!! Moderation!!! They have bred before, but have laid the eggs on the sand. Guess they are more experienced this time!

Edit: So I have a gallon sized fish bowl filled with them, and the original msw pool filled with them!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GabyRaven

Post by GabyRaven » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Oh my gosh!!!!! Good luck!!!!! I'm so excited for you!! It wasn't Janet was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 pm

Do you have an air stone or something to keep the water moving in there? I know they need the movement, from what I've read people usually keep the container of what the zoea are in in another container that also contains water, the outside container is where you keep your water heater which heats the container that has the zoea in it.
Really really rough image of what a common setup seems to look like, but what can I say, I'm in school :hlol:
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Ha ha - your husband is ADORABLE.

Do you have a simple aquarium heater? Short term, sitting the tank in a heated water basin may be the best option, til you're all organized. .. then you have a reliable temp to.shoot for & won't risk shocking them.

Also, like Pinchers mentioned, airstones are pretty important. Do you still.have you old betta gear? I'd even abscond with an airstone from the tat for the imedited future.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:39 pm

OMG!! I just saw this!!! You can do it! They don't need food for at least the first day, maybe more, so you have some time. The goldfish bowl will be perfect!! And yes, an airstone is essential. Just steal it from the adult hermits pool--they won't mind. And their making whoopie got you into this fix!! :hlol:

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:41 pm

You could also take the filter out of the established tank and use that. But is it in your crabitat? If so, I think you'll want something easier to access....so exciting!!

And selfishly now I'm really glad I have someone else to obsess with. :)

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Congrats!! Good luck!! :D
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 pm

WooooooW!!!! I wish u the best of luck! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Can't wait to see where these spawns go <3

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:21 pm

GabyRaven wrote:Oh my gosh!!!!! Good luck!!!!! I'm so excited for you!! It wasn't Janet was it? Image
Ha ha! No, this is in my 100 gallon crabitat. :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks everyone for your help! First of all I will apologize - my posts will be nothing like mlakers!!! LOL!! I am not a fine skilled writer like she is!! ;) I wish I was!!

So..I re-read mlakers posts, and pm'd her. I have a 10 gallon tank set up, halfway filled with water. I have a heater in it set to 80 degrees. I also have a power head in there to keep the water flowing. (all filled with freshwater to avoid msw build up. Then I have the 1 gallon betta bowl (my betta now lives in a 5 gallon tank :wink: ), with an airstone and a piece of coral. The coral will help balance ph, and give them something to cling to. then I have 4 large mason jars filled with msw in there acclimating to the temp for the upcoming water changes. Mlakers has been communicating with me via text which has been very helpful!! All pet stores are out of airstones here due to hurricane Irma. None of the pet stores have brine shrimp eggs, so I did give them a little spirulina - which they ate. I ordered some from amazon, but they won't be delivered until Sept 20th..thanks to Irma as well. There is an aquarium store in a city about 20 miles away that could have it, but they were closed today. I'll call to see if they have some tomorrow. :)

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:39 pm

How exciting!! Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!