Questions about making my own mixes

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Questions about making my own mixes

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:46 am

Hey yall
So, when I first found this page I started ordering from HCP and HK. I have a few "mixes" from their sites... like meal deal, draw lickin good, etc. I wanted to make my own mixes after someone else posted how easy it was to feed. So here's an example of one of my mixes...
I put worm casting, bee pollen, walnuts, color booster, spinachtastic (HCP), mealworms, calendula, fruity flowers mix (HealthyHermit), kombu, berry mix (HK), sir jack of Daniels (HK), and chia seeds.
There's about a spoonful of each.

I tried hitting all the food groups, giving variety.

Am I supposed to do that? Or are the mixes made to hair scoop some into a shell and it hits what they need? I didn't want to miss any groups so that's why I mixed it all into one.... is that wrong?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Moonlightdreams

Re: Questions about making my own mixes

Post by Moonlightdreams » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:06 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Hey yall
So, when I first found this page I started ordering from HCP and HK. I have a few "mixes" from their sites... like meal deal, draw lickin good, etc. I wanted to make my own mixes after someone else posted how easy it was to feed. So here's an example of one of my mixes...
I put worm casting, bee pollen, walnuts, color booster, spinachtastic (HCP), mealworms, calendula, fruity flowers mix (HealthyHermit), kombu, berry mix (HK), sir jack of Daniels (HK), and chia seeds.

Am I supposed to do that? Or are the mixes made to hair scoop some into a shell and it hits what they need? I didn't want to miss any groups so that's why I mixed it all into one.... is that wrong?

Not totally sure what you mean by "Or are the mixes made to hair scoop some into a shell", but I just mix mine all together. I figure they'll pick out what they need. :)
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:44 am

Moonlightdreams wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:Hey yall

Not totally sure what you mean by "Or are the mixes made to hair scoop some into a shell", but I just mix mine all together. I figure they'll pick out what they need. :)
Oops! Sorry my phone randomly adds words in sometimes and I missed that one. Lol
Yeah, basically I wasn't sure if the mixes were meant to be served by themselves or if it was okay to mix them with other items. I made quite a few of my own mixes the other day to make feeding easier. Just a scoop onto the plate, add fresh food, and done!

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:51 am

I don't think there is any harm in mixing things together. I often put a variety of things, including the mixes, in the dish in little piles. And of course by the time a crab gets in there, it's all jumbled together anyways! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers