Baby hermit crabs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Joshua183

Baby hermit crabs

Post by Joshua183 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:34 am

Hello everybody.

When the babies hatch put how many will their be because online it said the mother can lay 800-50,000 eggs and i dont want thousands of hermit crans in my tank. My best guess is 5-20 hermit crabs will survive

naalide

Re: Baby hermit crabs

Post by naalide » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:46 am

Don't worry. Even with best condition and thousands of larvae only a few hundred will reach the stage of megalopa. And then they will eat each other, till there are some left.
So, you are very lucky, if you even have some at the end, in shells and then at land.
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)

Topic author
Joshua183

Post by Joshua183 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:22 am

naalide wrote:Don't worry. Even with best condition and thousands of larvae only a few hundred will reach the stage of megalopa. And then they will eat each other, till there are some left.
So, you are very lucky, if you even have some at the end, in shells and then at land.
Oh ok thank you

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:00 am

Joshua183 wrote:
naalide wrote:Don't worry. Even with best condition and thousands of larvae only a few hundred will reach the stage of megalopa. And then they will eat each other, till there are some left.
Oh ok thank you
I had thousands of zoea and ended up with 3 nearly 2 year olds. I got 26 to land and a dozen to transition tat and about 8 into the big tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.