Stands or Support for a 55 Gallon Tank

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Stands or Support for a 55 Gallon Tank

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:47 am

I’m concerned with the weight of my new 55 gallon tank once the substrate is put in. I know my 20 gallon is super heavy for just me, so I can’t fathom how heavy the 55 will be. I’m looking for a stand or something to put my tank on without worrying about it being too heavy for the stand.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Stands or Support for a 55 Gallon Tank

Post by wodesorel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:16 am

Anything built to hold an aquarium will hold a hermit crab enclosure. If used as a fish tank it would weigh around 500-600 pounds. Even with 12 inches of sand for a crab tank it would come to just shy of that.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:56 pm

11 inches of substrate in a 55 is around 300 lbs (sand and ee). I used 5 bags of playsand and 3 bricks of EE for my old 55 when I set it up.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Thank you for asking that question. I’m sure I would have thought about the same thing when I start setting up my 50 gal in the next few weeks. The sand is so heavy, it’s scary seeing how the tank sits on the stand, it doesn’t seem like it has enough support.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:06 pm

The weight of water is about 8 pounds a gallon. The weight of dry sand is around 12 pounds per gallon. Wet sand is around 16 pounds per gallon.

An aquarium and stand are made to support the weight of water and decor (rock, gravel, sand), and the stand also supports the glass of the tank which can be between 75 and 150 pounds depending on when the tank was made. So a tank half filled with wet sand would equal a full aquarium of water. There is a lot of room for error there!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:43 pm

The 50 gallon I bought, I’m assuming, is pretty old. I bought it from an older woman and she said it was her mother’s fish tank. I think the original air pump is in with the stuff and it looks pretty old. I’ll get a picture of it and post it maybe someone would be able to date it by seeing the old air pump.

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your insight! Right now I have my 20 on a buffet table but I don’t think it would hold my 55. I’ll have to shop around and see what my options are or look into making one.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:27 am

I had my 20 gallon on a coffee table with skinny legs. When I upgraded to my 55 gallon, I bought a home-made coffee table on a local swap and shop page, that had been made with 2x4's! I will try to post a photo tomorrow!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 am

I actually just found this one on sale at Petco. Could be used as-is or I could use some MDF to make an enclosure for it with a door to store their food and supplies inside.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... moQAvD_BwE

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 am

That’s so cool, good price too! I like the metal stand.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:43 pm

How did you make out with this stand? I saw mixed reviews on it. Things not lining up properly and so forth. I tried to purchase it online and pick it up at the store from the Bloom store yesterday. Then they refunded my money and said it was out of stock. I don't really want to drop $200+ on a stand. I've been searching Craigslist, and Let go and just tried Offer Up.

We we're sort of banking on having that stand for setting up a 55 next weekend. Then our plan was to rescue crabs from Virginia and York, PA the following week. I was thinking if it is avaliable someplace along our travels picking up the crabs to get it then.

It would put a bit of a wrench on setting up the tank early. Then having to move a 300 pound tank from the floor to a stand. We already have our sand and Eco Earth to mix. Once we put the stand together we could get the substrate mixed and set up in a few hours.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:04 am

Motörcrab wrote:How did you make out with this stand? I saw mixed reviews on it. Things not lining up properly and so forth. I tried to purchase it online and pick it up at the store from the Bloom store yesterday. Then they refunded my money and said it was out of stock. I don't really want to drop $200+ on a stand. I've been searching Craigslist, and Let go and just tried Offer Up.

We we're sort of banking on having that stand for setting up a 55 next weekend. Then our plan was to rescue crabs from Virginia and York, PA the following week. I was thinking if it is avaliable someplace along our travels picking up the crabs to get it then.

It would put a bit of a wrench on setting up the tank early. Then having to move a 300 pound tank from the floor to a stand. We already have our sand and Eco Earth to mix. Once we put the stand together we could get the substrate mixed and set up in a few hours.
wow that’s a bummer. With Christmas and all, I didn’t pursue the stand much further. I’ll probably start to look again once these bills are paid lol.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:31 am

This turned out to be an awesome deal at Petco even thought it was a bit frustrating.

I placed an online order to pick this stand up at the store only to have it bounce back as not in stock.

After contacting another store I figured I could purchase online and pick it up the following week. Nope, they only hold online purchase for a day or two. Grrrrrr! That employee told me that if they sold out they would more than likely have another in by next weekend since they usually don't sell many.

I ended up calling the original Petco 15 minutes before closing. They have the stand In Stock. They can't hold it without an online purchase. I instantly hang up and order the stand online. Once again it comes back as Out Of Stock! WTH!!! Now I'm really frustrated!

The next day I saw a random email from email from Petco about my recent "purchase". I called the number. They wanted to ship me a stand with free shipping. I told her that wasn't an option because I work shipping and receiving large items and see how thing boxes get destroyed. I explained how I spoke to the store just before closing and they had it in stock yet my order cot bounced back.

The customer service lady put me on hold, called the store and confirmed they had the stand. They put it on hold for me to pick up the following day. They also offered me a $25 off coupon for my trouble.

Yesterday I picked up the stand along with a 20 Tall glass lid. The manager also gave me a $4 coupon! That brought my total savings up to $29! Pretty much summed up at the end of the day I ended up getting the glass lid for free and stand for less than the original discounted price!

The stand went together easily it took maybe 30 minutes to get it assembled. The stand did come with one bolt that did not have threads so we had to run and buy one from the hardware store.

Fleabag was already checking out the stand!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:42 am

Good deal!

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:49 am

Motörcrab wrote:This turned out to be an awesome deal at Petco even thought it was a bit frustrating.

I placed an online order to pick this stand up at the store only to have it bounce back as not in stock.

After contacting another store I figured I could purchase online and pick it up the following week. Nope, they only hold online purchase for a day or two. Grrrrrr! That employee told me that if they sold out they would more than likely have another in by next weekend since they usually don't sell many.

I ended up calling the original Petco 15 minutes before closing. They have the stand In Stock. They can't hold it without an online purchase. I instantly hang up and order the stand online. Once again it comes back as Out Of Stock! WTH!!! Now I'm really frustrated!

The next day I saw a random email from email from Petco about my recent "purchase". I called the number. They wanted to ship me a stand with free shipping. I told her that wasn't an option because I work shipping and receiving large items and see how thing boxes get destroyed. I explained how I spoke to the store just before closing and they had it in stock yet my order cot bounced back.

The customer service lady put me on hold, called the store and confirmed they had the stand. They put it on hold for me to pick up the following day. They also offered me a $25 off coupon for my trouble.

Yesterday I picked up the stand along with a 20 Tall glass lid. The manager also gave me a $4 coupon! That brought my total savings up to $29! Pretty much summed up at the end of the day I ended up getting the glass lid for free and stand for less than the original discounted price!

The stand went together easily it took maybe 30 minutes to get it assembled. The stand did come with one bolt that did not have threads so we had to run and buy one from the hardware store.

Fleabag was already checking out the stand!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Glad the manager hooked you up. He’s a good friend of ours and just a really nice dude. The stand looks great! How is it holding up?