new owner

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Lazerdms

new owner

Post by Lazerdms » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:17 pm

I am a new owner I got a crab for my grand son back in July his parents have had it up until now and gave it to me last week to keep because it does not eat
and stays buried its in a 5gal tank but went today and got a 10 gal tank and some moss the temp is at 70 and hygrometer is at 65 which I see is way to low
how will I get it higher and what more do I need to but I have sand from the beach

Thanks for any help and yes Im lost lol

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: new owner

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 pm

Hello. You are posting pretty much the same thing on other threads that you have posted. Are you reading the responses? I know I responded to one of your threads earlier. I am not trying to be rude, but you can continue the same thread and people will reply to you. This is better than starting new threads.

Maybe you are having a hard time finding your way around the forum...I'm not sure.

Have you mixed your substrate with dechlorinated freshwater or dechlorinated marine saltwater to make it sandcastle consistency? This does help boost humidity.

You can temporarily mist your tank with dechlorinated fresh water to help boost humidity - but hermit crabs themselves do not enjoy being sprayed. (USE A DECHLORINATOR LIKE PRIME - it removes chlorine, chloramine, as well as detoxifies heavy metals and ammonia - these things burn the hermit crabs modified gills).

Glass tops help keep humidity in.

AS far as heat - I personally like UTH (under the tank heaters) as crabbers - we use them on the back of the tank to heat the air. www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com sells the best ones. Zoomed ones are expensive and are crap. In the meantime you can cover the crabitat with warm towels and or blankets warmed in the dryer (without dryer sheets).
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Lazerdms

Post by Lazerdms » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:46 pm

yes I did post in another area but some are telling me to post it here and yes I'm reading every thing and learning I don't know how to delete this post sorry

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Okay. No worries.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com