Half pine hides

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
crabby33

Half pine hides

Post by crabby33 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:42 am

The Land Hermit Crab Owner’s society says no to half pine hides when people here have been using them with no issues. Their issue with it is that it gives off fumes in a sealed tank and the crabs will eat the bark. But if you use half pine log hides in a crabitat, will it give off fumes that could potentially harm the crabs? Pine is on the unsafe list here so that new crab owners can see they shouldn’t put pine branches, needles or bark in the tank. I can see that giving off fumes that could be harmful, but not a half log hide that is not fresh from the tree and has had time to air out.

RiNiKy506

Half pine hides

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 am

I have one of the ZooMed Habba Huts, I never paid attention to what it was made out of. I hope it’s not harmful!

Edit: I looked up what the zoomed ones were made out of and it said “fir hide” so it’s not pine. I guess there is a difference so I’m assuming that’s why they’re ok, depending on what kind you have. Image

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Half pine hides

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:43 am

Pine wood is on the unsafe list because it can give off fumes (“pine scent”) that can build up in a tank. Vertebrates have been found to have respiratory problems when this happens.

The half logs sold for reptiles have been dried and aired, so they don’t give off fumes. They are perfectly safe for hermit crabs and have been used by crabbers for years.

Just don’t use fresh conifers and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
crabby33

Re: Half pine hides

Post by crabby33 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:27 am

I agree that they’re safe to use. I can’t tell them it’s safe either. The other group doesn’t care. It’s like “Those are pine. They’re not safe. Take them out of the tank.” But I think you take that risk when you join these Facebook hermit crab talk pages. The admins in charge can tell you to remove anything from your tank if it is not in line with their recommendations. Including sub.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:01 am

I always make the suggestion to buy something else only because they have a tendency to mold in high humidity. I've had a few rot right through over the years. As our members have shown, it doesn't hurt hermits, just wallets.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:55 am

crabby33 wrote:I agree that they’re safe to use. I can’t tell them it’s safe either. The other group doesn’t care. It’s like “Those are pine. They’re not safe. Take them out of the tank.” But I think you take that risk when you join these Facebook hermit crab talk pages. The admins in charge can tell you to remove anything from your tank if it is not in line with their recommendations. Including sub.

People on the internet can tell you whatever they want to; it doesn’t mean you have to automatically believe them or do what they tell you to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephjan51015

Post by Stephjan51015 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:53 am

I think for the molding wood problem, a salt water scrub/soak and bake in the oven is suggested. Wouldn't that make it safe too?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:53 am

Stephjan51015 wrote:I think for the molding wood problem, a salt water scrub/soak and bake in the oven is suggested. Wouldn't that make it safe too?
That does work, but due to pine being a relatively soft wood its prone of breaking down rather quickly regardless of mould/no mould.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies