University Student Looking for Crab Research

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
KrobustheCrab

University Student Looking for Crab Research

Post by KrobustheCrab » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:30 pm

I'm a university student and recent hermit crab enthusiast looking for research papers on hermit crabs and hermit crab reproduction specifically. Any help would be appreciated, including anecdotal accounts! I'm also interested in common behaviors and preferences they exhibit when reproducing like overeating or hanging out in warmer parts of the tank. Thank you all for your help in advance!

PinchersAndShells

Re: University Student Looking for Crab Research

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 am

This is a great place to start: viewtopic.php?f=123&t=92518
At the end of the post sources are cited which includes actual research papers as well as anecdotal accounts. I would also recommend checking out Mary Akers’s record of her successful attempt here: http://maryakers.com/summer-2018-breeding-attempt/
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm

KrobustheCrab wrote:I'm a university student and recent hermit crab enthusiast looking for research papers on hermit crabs and hermit crab reproduction specifically. Any help would be appreciated, including anecdotal accounts! I'm also interested in common behaviors and preferences they exhibit when reproducing like overeating or hanging out in warmer parts of the tank. Thank you all for your help in advance!
Since you should have access to peer reviewed and academic sources for research I’d suggest using whatever ecampus database you have available to look for the papers. I lost an entire folder full of research and the person who shared it with me is no longer active here but I have been meaning to go back in and collect more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm

KrobustheCrab wrote:I'm a university student and recent hermit crab enthusiast looking for research papers on hermit crabs and hermit crab reproduction specifically. Any help would be appreciated, including anecdotal accounts! I'm also interested in common behaviors and preferences they exhibit when reproducing like overeating or hanging out in warmer parts of the tank. Thank you all for your help in advance!
We also have entire breeding journals here in the forums.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Do a search for coenobita on scholar.google.com

Some are open access, some are behind pay walls but many universities can get access for students. There have been many controlled experiments on rearing eggs in labs, field studies, and of course detailed descriptions of species including reproductive organs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:16 pm

wodesorel wrote:Do a search for coenobita on scholar.google.com

Some are open access, some are behind pay walls but many universities can get access for students. There have been many controlled experiments on rearing eggs in labs, field studies, and of course detailed descriptions of species including reproductive organs.
If a journal is behind a paywall and you can find the author’s email, usually if you email them and ask for a copy they’ll send it.