Introducing a new crab into my crabitat

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
KristenL0522

Introducing a new crab into my crabitat

Post by KristenL0522 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi all! I recently adopted 3 hermit crabs. My mom is taking the larger two and I am taking the smaller one as I have smaller crabs. I am very nervous about introducing it into the tank. I have two in my tank now and one is down I can only hope molting and the other is up and about. I just got a camera and I loveeee it!!! I’m not sure about how to put the new crab into the habitat without it being a big deal.
I’ve read that you put them into the fresh water that is in the tank so they smell like them. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!!

Edit: also how do I prepare the other crabs for their environment? They have been in a critter cage with dry sand. Should I dip them in fresh water and salt water first?

Edit #2: I also just realized she doesn’t have her small claw... 😔I know she will grow it back in molting but will it effect her any other way?
I’ve got her in a small critter carrier with some sand and food and water and shells for now. She is in too small of a shell so I’m hoping she will change soon

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Introducing a new crab into my crabitat

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Yes, people do recommend dipping the new crab (I think I have also seen people dip all the crabs) into fresh water before putting them into a new tank.

As for the crabs going from a poor environment to a good one, they can all just be added to the new tank together if they have been living together already.

Which claw do you mean he is missing?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
KristenL0522

Post by KristenL0522 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 am

Dip all the crabs in the fresh water? I have one down molting...
I think she is a purple pincher, she’s not missing her big purple claw but her smaller one on the other side.

Luckymom

Post by Luckymom » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:29 pm

I am amused because I too have one down, one up, and I’m adopting three more later this week or next. I’ve decided to set up my 55 gallon tank though, so I’m putting the newbies in there for a while. Quarantine is an important step. Of course, it’s not very common. I just happen to be lucky enough to have the room to do it.

I don’t have an informed answer to your questions, and I actually have the same questions. I believe just washing the new crab(s) will work for your crabitat and your mother’s. I wouldn’t worry about the missing pincher.
One human, one dog, various fowl and 4 PP hermit crabs.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Many people only inspect the new crabs to make sure they don't have any bugs or things like that, then dip them and add them to the tank - many don't quarantine a new crab.
If a crab is under the sub, don't dig him up.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
KristenL0522

Post by KristenL0522 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Thank you so much!! I’ve looked her over. Even though I’m not too sure what I’m even looking for lol but I’m going to put her into the tank tonight and see how it goes.