Where should I place these?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Julsie

Where should I place these?

Post by Julsie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 am

I have two small heat pads currently but will be upgrading to multiple and larger heat pads hopefully soon (they’re a bit expensive huh?). The crabs like to sit by the heaters which are placed on the sides of the tank. I know they need to cover the entire sides of the tank and the entire backside of the back wall of the tank. But for now in your opinion where should I place these two? Together on one side of the tank? Together on the back wall of the tank? Or keep them as is? I’m about to add another blanket as well. My temperature is 72 degrees at lowest and 77 degrees at highest. My goal is for the temperature to reach the 80’s is that preferable? I have purple pinchers. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Julsie

Re: Where should I place these?

Post by Julsie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:53 am

also best place for the humidity/temp gauge to sit in the tank? Its currently placed in the front of the tank on the right upperside. I’ve read its best for it be placed in the middle of the tank along the back wall? I also have another gauge placed there but it’s not the digital one. ImageImage also I need to calibrate the digital one I just haven’t had a chance to do so yet. The humidity stays at 99% but I know that can’t be accurate but the temperature part of it always drops and raises.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:13 am

For your current small heaters I would leave them where they are. zoomed heaters are a one time placement deal. They recommend not reusing them after peeling them off a tank. Some people have done it with no issues. I personally won't tell any one not to follow a manufacturers recommendations. I actually just spent most of this week traveling for work due to a customer not following a manufacturers instructions.

Heater quantity is dependant on where you live and also how warm or cool your house is. If your house is 85 all year long you technically wouldn't need a heater. This is why it is a bit tough to give everyone and exact correct answer. I found its easier to cool down a crabitat then have to raise the temperature. At minimum I will suggest having a heater that covers the entire back of the tank from the top of substrate to top of the glass and across the entire length.

This is a guide Fleabag made for heating a crabitat this should help you get started.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=119297&hilit=Fleabag#p1072369

The only thing I would really consider changing is the polypro insulation board. It works great and is messy to cut. Reflectix insulation is easier to work with and is cheaper. I don't think it insulates as well as the foam board but that is the hand off for ease of use.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am

Motörcrab wrote:For your current small heaters I would leave them where they are. zoomed heaters are a one time placement deal. They recommend not reusing them after peeling them off a tank. Some people have done it with no issues. I personally won't tell any one not to follow a manufacturers recommendations. I actually just spent most of this week traveling for work due to a customer not following a manufacturers instructions.

Heater quantity is dependant on where you live and also how warm or cool your house is. If your house is 85 all year long you technically wouldn't need a heater. This is why it is a bit tough to give everyone and exact correct answer. I found its easier to cool down a crabitat then have to raise the temperature. At minimum I will suggest having a heater that covers the entire back of the tank from the top of substrate to top of the glass and across the entire length.

This is a guide Fleabag made for heating a crabitat this should help you get started.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=119297&hilit=Fleabag#p1072369

The only thing I would really consider changing is the polypro insulation board. It works great and is messy to cut. Reflectix insulation is easier to work with and is cheaper. I don't think it insulates as well as the foam board but that is the hand off for ease of use.
Thank you such a helpful response. I will definitely look over that guide!