Worried- Crab was eating paint on top of climbing decoration.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Xenpurgisn@cht

Worried- Crab was eating paint on top of climbing decoration.

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:09 am

So, a few months ago I bought a very tall and fancy pagoda decoration for my tank for roughly 30 USD and over time slowly noticied paint at the top was going missing and orginially I assumed it was because of the very high humidity in the tank roughing it up, but just now I saw tukiyo actually trying to chip off and eating it and immediately stopped it because I have no idea how/ and if it is toxic for them, unlike painted shells. Any thoughts? I'm hoping for the best.

Topic author
Xenpurgisn@cht

Re: Worried- Crab was eating paint/coloring on top of climbing decoration.

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:11 am

Motörcrab

Re: Worried- Crab was eating paint on top of climbing decoration.

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:40 am

I had a similar issue with a piece of decor. It was sitting in out unused ISO tank. I pulled it out and the paint started to bubble and come off.

Since most decorations are cheaply made in other countries there is no guarantee the paints aren't toxic. I would consider it unsafe until proven safe and remove it. Better safe than sorry.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Xenpurgisn@cht

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:05 am

That's fair, I've been having this decoration since late december-early january and if they've been slowly chipping off at it then I would LIKE to assume it's not toxic because well- I haven't had any dead crabs pop up in the span of 3-4 months

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:04 am

It might not be immediately toxic...but might be over a longer period of time. Hard to know. I would also probably err on the side of caution and remove it - although I see why you wanted it for your tank, it's so cute and looks like crabs would love to climb it! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:51 pm

Here is what happened to the piece I bought. It sat with this side down on the Eco Earth substrate for several months. These are the kind of things that you can't really can't say are 100% safe. They fall into the they are safe until considered unsafe, or use at your own risk.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities