How hot is too hot?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Jen.miller

How hot is too hot?

Post by Jen.miller » Mon May 18, 2020 2:58 pm

Hey there everyone!

Could you please tell me how hot is too hot? My 40 gal tank is usually around 78 with 80% humidity on one end and 80 with 90% on the other (the pools are at that end)

The last 2 days, something has been funky with our thermostat in the house, and the tank has been riding at 80/80 at one end and 82/90 on the other.

There is so much differing info out there, I wanted to check here with the experts :)

I have 8 crabs, mostly PP, but I think my 2 little climbing fiends are Es.

Thanks!
Last edited by Jen.miller on Mon May 18, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How hot is too hot?

Post by JoeHermits » Mon May 18, 2020 3:02 pm

Eighty to eighty-two degrees Fahrenheit is fine.

They can handle up to ninety, but I would recommend letting temps drop down to eighty at night if they ever get that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: How hot is too hot?

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 18, 2020 5:38 pm

You have a gradient, which means one side is cooler than the other. So long as they can move between and cool off as needed, it'll be okay up into the 90s. My tank hit 96 at the hottest in the middle of summer several tomes with no troubles, though it cooled off substantially at night. I even had an E tank hit 120 once when my light malfunctioned. Had one naked crab, but they did recover. Not something I would ever recommend! That was dicey.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram