My first bacteria bloom

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My first bacteria bloom

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:59 pm
I love you GB! I've never been an energy gal. My sister had lupus. I get checked every now and then.
It's like letting someone else fill the dishwasher. It has to be done right. Lol
Yes! It definitely has to be done a certain way! Nobody can fit things the way I can in the dishwasher. They sure try though.

By the way...I think I bought that 150 gallon tank over a year ago. My Dad even gives me heck for it because I had him help me go get it because I borrowed his truck. I also didn't tell my husband about it when I purchased it, so it sits in the garage. My Dad was there when my husband came home and saw it. Of course back then I was going to do it right away, but one thing led to another and I just haven't.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri May 22, 2020 11:55 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:24 pm
Yes! It definitely has to be done a certain way! Nobody can fit things the way I can in the dishwasher. They sure try though.

By the way...I think I bought that 150 gallon tank over a year ago. My Dad even gives me heck for it because I had him help me go get it because I borrowed his truck. I also didn't tell my husband about it when I purchased it, so it sits in the garage. My Dad was there when my husband came home and saw it. Of course back then I was going to do it right away, but one thing led to another and I just haven't.
I totally get not telling your husband. Lol. My dream of course, like every other crabber, is to have a 200 gal tank. Or larger. I would like 1 colony, not 2.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Look on OfferUp and LetGo - they will tell you how long ads are up. That is how I scored my 150 for cheap. The tank had been for sale for awhile. I told them I would come get it that day if they would let me have it for cheaper. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 23, 2020 7:39 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:40 pm
Look on OfferUp and LetGo - they will tell you how long ads are up. That is how I scored my 150 for cheap. The tank had been for sale for awhile. I told them I would come get it that day if they would let me have it for cheaper. :)
I'm constantly looking. The real problem is finding someone to transport it and bring it in the house. So I'm really still in dream stage.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 23, 2020 11:40 pm

Here are some pics of the progress. Hopefully tomorrow we can start putting in the substrate. Although I'm really paranoid about making it too wet. Or too dry.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 am

Understandable on the dream state! If it's meant to be it will happen! Never give up on your dreams!

Try not to fret about the substrate. What kind of sand are you using? If you use the quickrete all purpose sand it kind of has a clay base to it and you really don't have to add water to it. You would only need to add warm water to your eco earth bricks to make them dissipate faster. (I personally use dechlorinated marine salt water) Then, you shouldn't be able to squeeze any water from the ee before adding it to the sand. That's the way I do it.

Do it in moderation. Don't rush - take breaks. You've got this!! :) ((HUGS))

Edit: Great pics! I'm really sorry you went through that! I'm glad your husband was able to help you and that you had a shop vac!!

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:04 am

Hermiesguardian wrote: I love you GB! I've never been an energy gal. My sister had lupus. I get checked every now and then.
It's like letting someone else fill the dishwasher. It has to be done right. Lol
It’s so true, almost all of us have OCD when it comes to our Crabbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 28, 2020 3:24 am

We thought the same thing after our flood/bloom too. It may take longer, but if you mix your sub in smaller batches you can adjust the consistency easier from batch to batch. It's a lot easier to add water a little at a time than to remove it.

It isn't really discussed here but over at CSJ they recommend a method similar to what GotButterflies mentioned. I have never tried this, but I believe @mlakers has recently used this method for her newest crabitat. Mary's currently pretty busy getting ready for Crab Con and is also raising some mysterious unknown species of zoea she received from our own RiNiKy.

https://crabstreetjournal.org/blog/2017 ... ming-from/

I normally don't like to mention or recommend things I am not familiar with. I also like to offer additional ways to do something, especially if there is concern of a current procedure. offering several options is always best. I believe you have great experience and knowlege in crab care and can make your own decisions based on that.

You got this.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu May 28, 2020 6:09 am

Motörcrab wrote:We thought the same thing after our flood/bloom too. It may take longer, but if you mix your sub in smaller batches you can adjust the consistency easier from batch to batch. It's a lot easier to add water a little at a time than to remove it.

It isn't really discussed here but over at CSJ they recommend a method similar to what GotButterflies mentioned. I have never tried this, but I believe @mlakers has recently used this method for her newest crabitat. Mary's currently pretty busy getting ready for Crab Con and is also raising some mysterious unknown species of zoea she received from our own RiNiKy.

https://crabstreetjournal.org/blog/2017 ... ming-from/

I normally don't like to mention or recommend things I am not familiar with. I also like to offer additional ways to do something, especially if there is concern of a current procedure. offering several options is always best. I believe you have great experience and knowlege in crab care and can make your own decisions based on that.

You got this.
Thank you! I'm finally done putting it together. Just needs some tweaking. They really like that climbing wall. It's hard to tell from the pics, but the egg crate on either side of the pools is for a platform since they prefer to drink by dipping their legs in and scooping up water.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 am

Awesome! Egg Crate it the best to add tons of climbing area! The nice thing is that you will never have to adjust the wheel again. It makes it pretty easy to attach things to it too. I like to do all the attaching before putting it into the tank.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri May 29, 2020 1:16 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 am
Awesome! Egg Crate it the best to add tons of climbing area! The nice thing is that you will never have to adjust the wheel again. It makes it pretty easy to attach things to it too. I like to do all the attaching before putting it into the tank.
Yeah I wish I knew that, to attach before putting it in. It is really hard getting a zip tie through when it's tight against the wall. When I set up the 75 that's what I'll do.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:44 am

I love how you did your pools, the eggcrate looks awesome!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri May 29, 2020 5:15 am

Motor - did you notice in the blog that she said the sand was packable right out of the bag and held it's shape? So she did start with sand castle consistency. Not all substrate needs extra water added. It should be mixed up and the moisture level adjusted as needed, and not be super wet to start.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri May 29, 2020 11:28 am

Yea, one line says it felt dry but had just enough enough to pack. Then next line was if the sand is wet it should be dried.
It is very similar to our mixing protocol. Just a different wording at best.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri May 29, 2020 1:17 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:15 am
Motor - did you notice in the blog that she said the sand was packable right out of the bag and held it's shape? So she did start with sand castle consistency. Not all substrate needs extra water added. It should be mixed up and the moisture level adjusted as needed, and not be super wet to start.
The only sand I had to wet was one bag that had been sitting over an air vent for about a year. It was powder dry.