New Crabitat! (Feedback please?)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
chinchoti

New Crabitat! (Feedback please?)

Post by chinchoti » Thu May 21, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi all! I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. A while ago my cousin gave me her old hermit crab after she lost interest in caring for him. For a while I was just keeping him in the old crabitat, but after doing some research I decided to give it a bit of an upgrade. I'm here to both show off the new crabitat and also to ask for some feedback before I move him in.

Before: (sorry for the terrible lighting!)

After:

A few notes:
- I've upgraded him from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank (tall).
- I'm currently working on getting his new tank to about 80 F and 80% humidity. The old thermometer wasn't working properly, so I have no idea what the temperature is in his old tank.
- The substrate is 7 inches deep.
- He used to have 2 extra shells, but now he has 6.
- I set up the pools for him because it looked like he was getting a little big for his old water dishes. I've heard concerns before about hermit crabs drowning in large pools, so I set up some rocks, some netting, and a plant for him to use to climb out. I also put some extra rocks in front of it to (a) hide the tubing, (b) discourage him from digging under the pools (c) give him a little something extra to climb over.
- I know that he needs a friend or two in there with him. I haven't gotten that far yet :D

What do you think?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Crabitat! (Feedback please?)

Post by JoeHermits » Thu May 21, 2020 4:46 pm

That actually looks really nice. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Nice upgrade! Watch the netting on the back. Crabbies try to go thru the holes and could get stuck or tangled. Do you have any playsand mixed into your substrate?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
chinchoti

Post by chinchoti » Thu May 21, 2020 6:44 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:32 pm
Nice upgrade! Watch the netting on the back. Crabbies try to go thru the holes and could get stuck or tangled. Do you have any playsand mixed into your substrate?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback! I've never had a problem with him trying to crawl through the netting before--he's a jumbo crab, so he might be too big--but I could see him getting tangled so I'll definitely keep an eye out. For substrate I just use EcoEarth, no play sand.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 pm

Beautiful tank! The pools are amazing. I can't think of any flaws really. Welcome to HCA! :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi there! Welcome to the HCA! Great looking tank!!

A couple of things regarding the netting: I would recommend removing them from your pools. Speaking from experience here....I had netting from my pools once and noticed that they wicked water from my pools out onto the substrate. You would be better to use craft mesh which is plastic with your pools so that doesn't happen. :)

Like previously mentioned by Xenocrab, the netting on the back- you should only single layer it. By double layering it you can make it dangerous. Netting is great if you keep it safe :)

Hermit crabs are also known as tree crabs. If your yard isn't sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers, and your city/county doesn't spray for mosquitoes (you would have to call), you can use branches from safe wood in your backyard (Oak, Sweetgum, Maple) for hermit crabs to climb on. You would want to bake the branches to kill any bugs.

Hermit crabs are social creatures, so you might want to consider getting him a buddy. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com