New Adoptee help with illness or ID

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
thermidor

New Adoptee help with illness or ID

Post by thermidor » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:21 pm

I just adopted 4 small crabs presumed to be purple pinchers who weren't well cared for in terms of temp/humidity being consistent. One is very odd, a washed out pink all over, including the claw. I realize this could be inadequate pigments in the diet, but all 4 actually had a decent diet including fish color food and have been together for 2 years.

Since computers sometimes mislead with color, I have attached a pic with him walking on the wood and a "normal" colored crab below to the left.

Is this something that should correct with the next molt or is he another type of crab that has homogenous color?

[[ImagePale crop by Donna Garrou, on Flickr][/img]

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Adoptee help with illness or ID

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:31 pm

Small crabs tend to be more washed out in color. I adopted a small that started out a light brown but turned purple a year later. I’ll have to see if I still have pictures.

I would give it more time before I started to worry.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:08 am

He's a little pale pinkish even for a small crab, but I wouldn't worry if he's moving around and acting okay. His moult could have been disturbed too quickly, it takes a little while to fully harden and darken after. One 'off' moult is also not too unusual, I've had crabs suddenly become some bizarre shades that moulted back to normal the next time. He's tiny so like Joe said they tend to be more muted and washed out anyway.

For me, it's the lack of definition that makes me think something is slightly off, even at this age they should have a bit of difference in colour between their large claw, back, and leg tips. That said, I've had some surprisingly coloured tiny crab, too!

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:24 pm

That’s a PP no doubt about it. I had a couple over the years that were that color.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.