What size Ultratherm for 10 gallon tank

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Acohen

What size Ultratherm for 10 gallon tank

Post by Acohen » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:23 pm

I have a 10 gallon tank and two smallish heaters on same side of tank (zoo med) which I bought before I realized they weren’t very good. The temp on my acurite is usually between 77-80. I ordered an Ultratherm and wasn’t sure what size so I emailed bean farm and they suggested an 11x17. I didn’t realize this is the complete length of the tank . I’m afraid to switch it out with the other heaters because I know there’s supposed to be a warm side and cool side of the tank, but this one is so big I’m afraid the tank will be too hot & once I stick it to the glass that’s it. Any suggestions in the correct size Ultratherm for a ten gallon tank, or is this 11x17 ok? Also, I have about 5-6 inches of substrate, so if I stick the Ultratherm to the back of the tank it will cover the complete back and NOT be above the substrate line.
Thanks

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: What size Ultratherm for 10 gallon tank

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:35 pm

I have a very cool room - usually between 50 and 65 degrees, especially in winter. I've always used a pad that covered top to bottom. I use Flukers, so it's been an 11x11. Temp in the tank has stayed around 77-82 which is perfect. BUT, I insulate the crap out of my tank! Uninsulated it wouldn't get nearly that high.

Your temp is already kinda perfect, so I'm not sure if you need a new UTH. And if it's staying that high already then the extra wattage may push you too high on a pad that size.

HOWEVER, slapping it on uninsulated will probably work perfectly. If you wanted to try, I'd suggest doing it when no molters are down. I heat my substrate because I like giving them the option of a warmer moulting location, which some do want! They can't move once down though, so heat shouldn't be started while they are stuck in place.

The other option is buying a thermostat with a probe for inside the tank. It will turn the pad on and off at the right temperatures so it never gets too hot or cold.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Acohen

Re: What size Ultratherm for 10 gallon tank

Post by Acohen » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:44 pm

Thanks for responding! I will probably wait because I have 2 that are down at the moment, or I’ll just leave it as is. I thought 77 might be too low, but my humidity is great so I really don’t want to start messing with everything.