Does saltwater baths kill mites instantly?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author

Does saltwater baths kill mites instantly?

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:23 am

I thought i remember reading that somewhere. I gave my 10 crabs individual baths last night 5 times over to make sure if there were mites they would be rinsed away. Only spotted one mite on one crab but i freaked out because i never thought that would happen in my tank. I have them all in i.s.o till i can go get more subtrate today. [smilie=anon.gif]-me feeling like a bad mom.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:20 pm

No. It doesn't. Also, there are something like nine different kinds of mites that live on hermit crab gills. Plus, over a hundred different kinds of isopods. They probably have different sensitivities to salts.

Dawn
Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm not sure if it does anything

Post by Dawn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:16 pm

I'm not sure if it does anything to the mites themselves but it makes the crabs wounds feel better. Mine all head for the salt water when they hurt. I remember Winston with his little clipped leg tip went right for the water as soon as I put him in the tank. Cesar soaked in the water too when his tip was clipped (you know, I think Tank is a very bad girl. She's the meany who clips leg tips...If only she had a rearend to spank.)
Hermit crab LOVER since March 2003.

If my advice doesn't help, please PM me right away. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/ddisomma

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:23 pm

The problem is that mites and crabs are both arthropods. Any chemicals that are harmful to mites are usually harmfull to crabs. So unless you want to risk poisoning your hermit crabs, it might be a good idea to stay away from those types of chemicals.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:36 pm

bathing them actually just rinses them away so you have to watch to make sure the mites dont jump back on the crab as you pull them out of the water