DIY Hidey-Really cheap/easy for the mechanically challenged!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
starmaiden

DIY Hidey-Really cheap/easy for the mechanically challenged!

Post by starmaiden » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:01 am

Today while working at my desk, I heard some angry chirping coming from my 10 gallon tank with my 3 new guys in it. I realized they couldn't all fit inside the cocohut very easily and I decided they needed something bigger. When I had my other crabs in the tank, I had a half log kinda buried so it was like a cave and they loved it!

Unfortunately, it got moldy so I washed it and baked it, but resin started coming out and it smelt really piney! That just wouldn't do!

So I thought of ALHC's plastic bowl hideys and how other people say they use flower pots, and I found an old plastic pot lying around that hadn't been used (my brother grew orchids and had a lot of spare pots). I used scissors to cut away the lip around the edge about half of the pot so it could rest on the dirt and voila! A DIY crab hidey! :D Took all of 5 min!

Here's a pic of the result! It's nothin fancy, but it'll do! :wink:

Topic author
starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:26 pm

I'm thinking you can probably decorate the outside with some shells, small mirrors, polished rocks, or driftwood and aquarium sealant if you want! I'll be making a few more after I visit the craft store to get some shells to decorate with and plan on trying that out! You might have to rough up the outside with sandpaper first so the glue will stick.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:55 pm

I plan to do stuff like that with my water dishes and shower caddy's after we move. We have SO many extra shells from shell packages, it would be good to put them to use instead of having them lay around!

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:02 pm

that's nice, b/c now you have 2 hidies, I'm lazy and just bury the pot a bit so it doesn't roll around lol.