What types of tree branches are safe for hermies?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

What types of tree branches are safe for hermies?

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:24 pm

Ok so I have several bradford pear trees, a red bud tree, tulip tree, butterfly bush, oak tree (I think :? I'm finding out for sure), a few ground plants that I can't remember the name right now but will talk to my mom (she has the same plants)...

anyway of these particular trees/plants are any of them safe..i looked on the safe plants list but it mainly has flowers not trees or plants (outdoor) course doesn;t help that I cant remember the name of some of the plants/trees does it? :lol:
Anyway just let me know

thanks
lillbitga

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:23 am

The pear tree and the oak is definitely safe. I'm not sure about the others. The tulip tree is related to magnolias and since they are not on the safe flowers list, I'd stay away from it.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

treesy

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:50 pm

Hey.. you did read my previous post to say BRADFORD pear tree right? it doesn't grow pears... it's the tree that when it blooms in the spring it smells TERRIBLE!!!! I just want to be sure if it would be ok..

Cool..if the oak tree is safe I may cut a few little branches (long enough for them to climb) and put them in the tat...
Oh I figured out for sure that the one in the back yard is some type of Willow..and I finally remembered that name of the one beside my backdoor...it;s a hasta (i don't know if I spelled that correctly or not... :D

thanks for the input...
lillbitga

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:13 pm

Bradford pear is a species of pear. It is the genus Pyrus, and while it may not produce the pears you eat, it should still be safe for them if regular pear trees are.

Topic author

trees

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:17 pm

i figured it ws..i just wanted to be sure... :D
so do they like the leaves off oak and the pear trees as well as climbing the branches? I may get some leaves off of the trees and put in their food dish...

thanks

lillbitga

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:58 am

Both leaves and branches are fine, I know that my crabs love pear and apple leaves.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:23 am

just wanted to jump in and say I have several oak tree branches in my tank and all my crabbies LOVE climbing on them to get to the second floor!

Topic author

branches

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm

cool thanks kenzie... do I need to boil them before i put them in the tank?... i wrote that before i actually thought..DUH yes i do.. but should it be dechlor water or salt water and for about how long?

lillbitga

Topic author

Re: branches

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:41 pm

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:54 pm

I boiled all my oak branches and bark in salt water. I use oak bark for climbing toys and for their hut. I just carefully cut the bark off of a large piece of firewood and it made the perfect hut. :D