Preventing escapes!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
bksbuddha

Preventing escapes!

Post by bksbuddha » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:13 pm

:D I've found a way to make any lid escape-proof.
All ya need is a few minutes & some sticky-back Vecro.
Cut a small length, about 1/2", of the picky side, peel off paper & place a piece at the edge of each corner of the lid & tat rim. Then cut a section of the fuzzy piece, I used 2 1/2" for mine, for each corner allowing for a bit extra in case you need to vent the lid.
Secure the fuzzy side (don't remove the paper over the tape on this side) over the picky pieces & tada...escape-proof lid!
When I prop my lid, I simply put a small milk cover or similar object in the center & secure the lid down w/the Velcro like normal. 8)
It's inexpensive, quick, & works like a charm. Not one escapee except when my own stupidity is involved! :roll: Always check the lid for hangerson before ya put it on the floor.
If by chance the pieces glued to the corners come off, a bit of Superglue will reattach them perfectly. :P
:lol: Figured it was high time to post this baby.
Last edited by bksbuddha on Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

PPs,Straws,Es,Ruggies, Violas, & Indos!
3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:43 pm

Before I give you any kudos, it needs to be Bwana tested!

Topic author
bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:51 pm

8) Bwana test away, my friend. I have some rather strong babies myself & have also tried to pull it up from the outside. :D It holds true. So long as the sticky tape holds the picky side on all the corners, they can't get out. Probably should add something about that...I used Superglue if necessary to resecure. :)
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:22 am

I love you! I have had straws climbing my curtains behind the tank, one tring to get into an ISO tank on the other side of the room- all in one week. I started weighting the lid down with a three-pack of EE bricks, which worked well. Until I heard the bricks hit the floor last night, apparently someone was trying to pry off the lid and the bricks overbalanced. I am off to buy velcro for my crab babies.

Rhoney

Post by Rhoney » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:42 pm

THIS SHOULD BE A STICKEY!

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:08 am

Buddha..... You are a GENIUS!

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 am

:P Me thinks this will save me a lot of stress! Thanks~!!!! :D

Topic author
bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:30 pm

:D Anytime. I'm always so paranoid about them escaping...so I came up w/this idea a while ago. :wink: I tested it for almost a year before even posting this for everyone else. :roll: I did tell others about it in their Escaped posts...don't know how many tried it. I'm so paranoid that I check the velcro every night before I go to bed, even though I know it's fastened! :lol:

Topic author
bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:36 pm

:D Just bumping this up for the new people.

hulk

Post by hulk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:46 pm

very cool! Hulk has recently been TESTING the lid lol with the new background he can reach it and get leverage! I think I might have to try, but I have a screen lid..and plexi glass...i guess it will work just the same?
Paige

Topic author
bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:40 pm

8) Yep. Just put it on the solid surfaces. You may have to use some superglue to secure it permanently. It only needs a little drop though. Mine has stood up to the large hermie test & passed w/flying colors. :D

hulk

Post by hulk » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:37 am

cool
Paige

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:00 am

This needs a bump 'cuz it really works great. :)

I actually got the idea to use it when I was skimming through old threads this past March, but never remembered who came up with the idea. ;)

I then used it for both my land hermit crabs and the much agile and stronger land crabs, Gecarcinus lateralis. Currently, the velcro can withstand the onslaught of G. lateralis escape attempts since March. :shock:

Really clever, bksbuddha! :hail: 8)

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:28 pm

Found a different type of Velcro at Office Depot.

This is regular Velcro, but it comes in a roll. This way you can make the fastener any length from < 1" or as long as 7 feet - the length of the entire roll. I'm even using it to hold up fairly heavy pictures.

hermie kid

Post by hermie kid » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:33 pm

I use this also!