Rollie Pollie Crazy

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author

Rollie Pollie Crazy

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:34 pm

So I've been telling the kids to watch for them for me since I'm gonna need like 50+ of them for my tank and today they came running in the house screaming ROLLIE POLLIES!! and asked for something to put them in...I give them a Jar and they run off and come back with about 10-15 medium-large ones and 20-30 babies lol

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:03 pm

what's a rollie pollie?!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:03 pm

I gotta ask.... what are you using them for?

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:07 pm

Rollie Pollies...commonly known as Pill Bugs, Ball Bugs, Potato Bugs, Woodlice. Here is a link to an image:
Rollie Pollie!

Thoughts is using them as a cleaning control team! They clean up the messes made by the crabs. They handle issues like poop, mold (I think), and food messes. They are really useful. Plus, if they die, the crabs get extra protein.

Congrats on the bugs, Thoughts! :roll: :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:12 pm

Yeah they will eat all the stuff Kili said, and pretty much keep my EE clean :) and yeah Kili they eat mold spores. only 1 braved the sand side so far all the others flocked to the EE and dug under lol

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:57 am

So how do you determine how many to put in the tank?

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:04 pm

Fascinating! 8)

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Congrats on the bug find! :hlol: I don't think I've ever congratulated someone on bugs before now! :shock:
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author
wickedannabella

Post by wickedannabella » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:36 pm

I have those danged springtails...they're so annoying, but I hear they do pretty much the same thing.

Topic author

I have rollie pollies also!

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:08 pm

i use rollie pollies in my 20 gal. tank, they are very handy in keeping the substrate clean ^^ (i use coconut fiber and moss mix)

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:57 am

Springtails are nice to have in the tank and since they tend to come back anyway, just like booklice, you can keep them and safe yourself the deep clean-trouble :D
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:42 pm

WhizkidsMom wrote:So how do you determine how many to put in the tank?
I'm not sure how to determine the right amount to put in, I figured I would put a 1:1 rollie pollie to crab ratio lol so each crabby has their own Janitor.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Looks like I'm going to have to send the kid bug searching....

I like this idea. Thought!!!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:37 pm

okay so i used to play with rollie pollies when i was little. i just have a hard time putting a bug in my tat.....but maybe i'll try it anyway.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 pm

Any chance of nasty parasites when you have pillbugs in your tank? I know that you can't feed turtles wild worms because of parasites, but is this problem also present between pillbugs and hermies?