Roly Polies Thread 2~

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
limeslide

Roly Polies Thread 2~

Post by limeslide » Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 pm

I just collected some of these outside and set them a little habitat to gradually dilute all the junk from the outside ones into cleaner edible pillbugs, just encase a crab decides to eat one. I'ma introduce them in a week or so.
I think I have Armadillidium vulgare in the enclosure.

Soo, what's you experience with these crustaceans? Do they damage molting crabs, did they help clean up?
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 am

I put some in when I had the 29 gallon crabitat. It didn't take long for them to disappear. I assume the crabs ate them. :lol:

Post by Guest » Tue May 04, 2010 11:30 am

I put ten in the tank two weeks ago, and I saw one yesterday. I was going to get some more after I cut the grass today. I was thinking pill bugs and dandy lions would make a nice treat. I hoping my crabs ate them up. :D

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue May 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Due to them being in the same family as a crab they can carry illness that might be brought to the crabs. Im not sure that this can happen but because its a possibility i dont put them in my tank. I did once and the crabs did eat them. After i learned about a disease that pill bugs can carry, there was a thread in the HCA about it, im not sure where, i looked for it but cant seem to find it. Ill keep looking. I just dont want to bring in any other bug eggs or parasites that could be on them to my tank. Ive heard of lots of people using them however without problems. I just always chose to be on the safe side. I figure they dont need them and my tank is clean so i guess i dont either. I cant imagine that they would find pill bugs on the beaches when they are wild. Just my opinion.. Ill see if i can find the thread info.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 am

I've used them for years and they have been a great help with keeping the crabitat clean and with turning all kinds of stuff into substrate. I never had mold while they were in there and anything left around just disappears after a while, whether it's leftover food, leaves or small twigs. I don't change the substrate at all.

Mine are Porcellio scaber and they don't dig, so they don't hurt molting crabs. As far as I know, Armadillidium vulgare doesn't dig either.

Sometimes they seem to have the urge to drown themselvs in the water bowl, I don't know why this is. At first I suspected low humidity, but I ruled that out.
In the summer, I usually throw out a lot of them because they breed like mad. I guess that I have 200-300 of them in the crabitat (75g) at the moment.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

suebee

Post by suebee » Wed May 05, 2010 8:30 am

good to know Jedediah, do you remember some kind of disease that was something about the rollie pollies turning blue ? I cant seem to find the info. I thought you had posted in that thread. Maybe it was Keith. What ever i read in that thread is what scared me off of them. I do put earth worms in my tank. They love the earth worms. I was just concerned about that disease. Im still looking for the info.
in looking for info i found this showing that they can be quite predatory, I wonder if they would bother molters? http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthr ... +predatory
I so would like to have them in my tank, im not trying to discourage anyone or say its wrong, just trying to check all the data before i go rollie pollie hunting!
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Post by Guest » Wed May 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Varieties of land hermit crab and sow/pill/potato/whatever else people think to call them are actually very, very distinct from each other. Considering their closest relation is to the Class Malacostraca, they're very, very distinctive from one another.

To put it into perspective- we share a class (Mammalia) with Pandas, giraffes and beavers, however we're incredibly distinctly different from them.

As well, the infection that you're talking about is that of an iridovirus, which may not even be a worry depending on where you live in the world. Iridovirus targets mainly invertebrates, specifically insects, and is actually pretty choosy which creatures it will actually infect. A virus that has infected a population of sowbugs, for instance, for many years is very unlikely to suddenly jump the species barrier into land hermit crabs. This doesn't mean to actively feed bright blue bugs to them, but you don't really have to freak out about a possible infection destroying your tank either.

suebee

Post by suebee » Wed May 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Thanks so much!

Topic author
limeslide

Post by limeslide » Sat May 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Jedediah wrote:Mine are Porcellio scaber and they don't dig, so they don't hurt molting crabs. As far as I know, Armadillidium vulgare doesn't dig either.
That is strange, when I introduced them into the habitat, they immediately buried themselves in the EE. It was in the main tank, what now?
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

SebbyCrab

Post by SebbyCrab » Sun May 09, 2010 2:35 pm

I've found mine dig, but only in the first half inch or so of substrate. And they tend to avoid the crab burrows.
PP's, E's, Straws, Violas

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Wed May 12, 2010 6:10 am

By don't dig I mean that they won't go deep into the substrate. They will cover themselves, especially the small ones, but prefer hiding under cork tunnels or smoething. They don't go and dig for food or buried crabs :)
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

HydeAndRescue

Post by HydeAndRescue » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:58 pm

This is amazing to me! My daughter and I will have to go dig some of these out of the woods! I like anything that eats up mold, extra garbage and misc. stuff. I am excited about this new adventure. Thank you for this thread!
Where it's GOOD to be Crabby!! It's not enough that we keep Land Hermit Crabs alive, let's help them THRIVE!
www.HydeAndRescue.com

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:55 pm

b0bz0r wrote: Iridovirus targets mainly invertebrates, specifically insects, and is actually pretty choosy which creatures it will actually infect.
Iridoviruses have traditionally be identified in insects, but now many have been found in other taxa, amphibians, fish, mammals, cephalopods just to name a few. And some happily infect a variety of cells.

Keith

corvas

Post by corvas » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:16 pm

i added some today and have some trouble with them climbing up to the top of the tank. I dont want them loose in my room. any suggestions?

so far they have hidden themselves and are getting along with the crabs.

suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Keith, does that mean that you would hesitate adding them?
Has anyone had any deaths unexplained after adding them to the tank? I worry about what they may bring in with them but again couldnt worm castings bring in the same sort of things?