Where to Buy Shells?

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Hershozz

Where to Buy Shells?

Post by Hershozz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:21 am

Probably a dumb question, but I really don't know where to find any! I'm pretty new to this crabbing thing. I'm doing good so far, but I cannot find the right shells. I have two PP's I'm pretty sure. Petco or Petsmart don't sell the right kinds of shells for them, and if they do it's pretty small. One of my crabs is pretty big. I don't have an exact measurement but he's on the large side. I made the mistake of getting a big shell I saw, thinking he'd like it, but I read that hermies don't like spiked shells and it has little spikes. I feel bad. He's showing signs of molting, and I figure he'll need a new one soon. Any advice?

Rawrgeous

Re: Where to Buy Shells?

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:04 am

Joannes can be a great place to buy bags of green turbos for around 5 bucks. Naples and Richards sea shells are great online stores to check out. I also suggest checking out the preferred shell guide stickied to the top of the shell section, it's pretty helpful. Purple pinchers like round opening shells like turbos. I would say in my experience green, silvermouthed, and pearled/ polished turbos seem to be the most popular. :) Mygann is another popular vender on etsy some buy larger shells from, but I haven't tried them yet.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hershozz

Post by Hershozz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:Joannes can be a great place to buy bags of green turbos for around 5 bucks. Naples and Richards sea shells are great online stores to check out. I also suggest checking out the preferred shell guide stickied to the top of the shell section, it's pretty helpful. Purple pinchers like round opening shells like turbos. I would say in my experience green, silvermouthed, and pearled/ polished turbos seem to be the most popular. :) Mygann is another popular vender on etsy some buy larger shells from, but I haven't tried them yet.

Okay cool. Thank you so much! I'll look into those places.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hershozz

Post by Hershozz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:Joannes can be a great place to buy bags of green turbos for around 5 bucks. Naples and Richards sea shells are great online stores to check out. I also suggest checking out the preferred shell guide stickied to the top of the shell section, it's pretty helpful. Purple pinchers like round opening shells like turbos. I would say in my experience green, silvermouthed, and pearled/ polished turbos seem to be the most popular. :) Mygann is another popular vender on etsy some buy larger shells from, but I haven't tried them yet.

Sorry for double posting, but where in Joanne's would shells be?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Hershozz wrote: Sorry for double posting, but where in Joanne's would shells be?
Look for the aisle with nautical/beach decor. Shells are usually hanging from hooks in net bags. Sometimes you can find a bag that is over half green turbos. If you have a coupon, you can't beat that deal!

I was at Richard's recently and saw he had baggies of turbos for $3.95, and kilo bags for $8.95. I don't know what the shipping is, but at least you'd be getting all turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:18 am

joannas is great! ive also gotten bags from michales and dollar general (go figure)!

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:48 pm

I just ordered off eBay from Mygann and the item was easy to see what you were getting as far as size and it was fast shipping

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:21 pm

I order a lot from Richard's and Florida shells & gifts off etsy. Just got new orders yesterday and today. Maybe it's just me, but all the shells I order end up being too big or too small. Even when I try to get exact measurements. Always get beautiful shells from both places though and I do get some that are correct sizes.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:35 pm

kieagcarm wrote:I order a lot from Richard's and Florida shells & gifts off etsy. Just got new orders yesterday and today. Maybe it's just me, but all the shells I order end up being too big or too small. Even when I try to get exact measurements. Always get beautiful shells from both places though and I do get some that are correct sizes.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
There is a special way to measure shells, usually measured with a caliper like the one from the Hermit Crab Patch.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:12 am

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=84333
This is a guide I find very helpful to reference while buying shells. It correlates opening size with length for shops that don't list opening, and it also explains how to properly measure shell openings . :) A caliper is very helpful, but it can be done without just slightly less accurate.

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:56 pm

A really inexpensive alternative to calipers is a sewing gauge, aka seam gauge. It has a little slider so you can use it just like calipers and measure to the nearest 1/8" (or millimeter, if you choose). You can get one for under $2 at any chain fabric store. I'm a sewing teacher, so I sacrificed one of my gauges to the crabs. :)

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Thats such a great idea! Thank you hprmom!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:40 pm

Not sure if anyone has suggested Mygann on eBay...I've ordered from them a few times and each time they are reasonable priced and ship very fast...and most importantly they are accurately measured :-)