ultratherm and retpliebasics.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Disgruntled Crab

ultratherm and retpliebasics.com

Post by Disgruntled Crab » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:45 pm

My test...
With a 11x11 on a approx 20 gal plastic storage bin I also ordered a 11x23 for my 130 gallon i am working on buying materials for.... With my test 11x23 will not cut it on the 130g.

They state they work on plastic/rubber storage bins.They have not raised the ambient temps at all.
They might on hard plastic type KK but who uses those anyways?Hopefully no one!

Room temps 75 before pad install... room temp after 24 hours.... 75.... after 48 hours 75
I have checked every few hours... tank temps do not change...

So with my test plastic is not a good transfer of heat...even though reptilebasics said it is...

10 gallon tank test with 4 inches of sand approx 7 gallons to heat...with 11x11

7/21/01
room temp/tank temp
12am 74/77
1am 74/78
215am 74/78
315 74/77.5
730 74/77.5
12pm 75.4/78.6
1pm 75.4/78.8

I have been dealing with reptilebasic.com about these, they are pretty much saying the pad is working like it should and i should have asked if it raises ambient temps up, they would have said no, its only for "basking" and we would need lights to heat of our enclosures.

So he has stated these pads are just for basking, no for raising temps.. and it it all depends on room temperature.

Ok help me out here, whats the point if i raise the room temps up? to get the temps up in the tank? Isnt that what the pad is for? If i simply wanted the room temps at 80 i could turn my heat pump on to 80,but thats not cost efficient like a UTH is. lol

he has even stated...(was after a email asking why i should pay for shipping back when he uses a service such as fedex that dont ship to poboxes, i am unhappy with the product !)
Seems like you were going off the advice of some people on forums. Pad reaches temps that it should. If you had asked prior to purchasing if it would heat up the ambient I would have told you no. So I should pay for your expectations that were created by some forum somewhere?

Thanks,
Rich
Reptile Basics Inc

I am willing to supply the hole email exchange, but its like 16 emails total and still counting...

No where does it say that the UTH is for basking purposes only and does not raise tank ambient temperature.GRRR

I am still going to monitor 10 gal and take more notes.

I still believe these are good pads, just not for plastic/rubber storage bins.

Go big as you can fit , you can also get a dimmer or thermostat

So order from beanfarm.com they have more choices anyways..
Formerly known as psi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: ultratherm and retpliebasics.com

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:18 pm

The pads are pre-set to work at 95 degrees so they don't burn out. Even though you're only seeing a 3 degree increase that may be because the room is already warm. If it were winter and the room was at 70 the pads may still reach 78. (Hoping? Praying? Maybe?) No way to know for sure though for a few months.

Many long-timers here have used the pads as the only heat source and have never had problems getting the tank warm. Of course, it also comes down to what is their room temp and how hot is their tank getting. I still have problems figuring out why they say it's basking only - all heat sources are going to raise the ambient, and most reptile owners talk about how the mats create a hot basking spot but still raise air temps for their critter to be happy. Heat lamps are considered "basking" since they direct all their heat into one spot.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm very much considering the Flexwatt as a viable alternative. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

sdevine

Post by sdevine » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm

wow what a hateful response from them, whatever happened to customer service?? How rude.

Topic author
Disgruntled Crab

Post by Disgruntled Crab » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:59 pm

wodesorel wrote:The pads are pre-set to work at 95 degrees so they don't burn out. Even though you're only seeing a 3 degree increase that may be because the room is already warm. If it were winter and the room was at 70 the pads may still reach 78. (Hoping? Praying? Maybe?) No way to know for sure though for a few months.

Many long-timers here have used the pads as the only heat source and have never had problems getting the tank warm. Of course, it also comes down to what is their room temp and how hot is their tank getting. I still have problems figuring out why they say it's basking only - all heat sources are going to raise the ambient, and most reptile owners talk about how the mats create a hot basking spot but still raise air temps for their critter to be happy. Heat lamps are considered "basking" since they direct all their heat into one spot.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm very much considering the Flexwatt as a viable alternative. :)
Yeah lots love these pads so I am sure they work. It was the hole deal using them on the storage bin and pretty much being told that im ignorant and that it is working. I just wanted what was advertised :D works on plastic/rubber bins...

sdevine wrote:wow what a hateful response from them, whatever happened to customer service?? How rude.
Oh my its got even better since I posted this, I have dealt in customer service for a while. Even though a customer might be totally wrong and you know it, the customer is always right. You make it right if they are unhappy no matter what it takes. With the internet, stuff like this can hurt a small business. I guess he doesn't care about us crabbers that send him business.
I know I will recommend beanfarm from now on, even talk to beanfarm and i asked about what would be best for my 130gal to heat ambient temps. I made sure i said air temps and its been understood from beanfarm.
Formerly known as psi

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Wow! Sorry you had a problem psi. I am suprised of this from Rich. I bought from them because they are cheaper and a NC company.

Topic author
Disgruntled Crab

Post by Disgruntled Crab » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:12 pm

IBlab crab wrote:Wow! Sorry you had a problem psi. I am suprised of this from Rich. I bought from them because they are cheaper and a NC company.
Same here I like supporting local :/
Formerly known as psi