LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

lilscout

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by lilscout » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:50 pm

*****************************************************************************************************************

I know that most of you had ordered straws, blues, and indos.

I'm not quite ready for really exotic crabs yet, I'm still fairly new and so far I haven't had any major problems.
But, I want to get a bit more experience under my belt before taking on the responsibility for more fragile lives.

I've been really wanting to try some E's.
I have had no luck with finding E's locally.

Question:

I want to ask if anyone has gotten any E's from LHC and how it's gone for you?

Thanks

Good judgement comes from experience,
Experience comes from bad judgement...

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 pm

If you just want E's then I suggest ordering from HCP

Crab Addict

Post by Crab Addict » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:50 pm

lilscout wrote:*****************************************************************************************************************

I'm not quite ready for really exotic crabs yet, I'm still fairly new and so far I haven't had any major problems.
But, I want to get a bit more experience under my belt before taking on the responsibility for more fragile lives.

Question:

Thanks

Your profile says you're in central texas, I'm in the austin area and I've found E's at the lake line petco and the round rock petco. The roundrock petco normally has small E's in natural shells. If they only have a few crabs, ask when they get their next shipment because I find E's quite often around there. :)

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Great suggestion Kuza! My HCP E's have been amazing so far. They never dug down to de-stress or molt because Tammy only sells them molted. The only thing is that you will have to wait until May of next year to order. But it's worth the wait. They are also mite free :D
I know they will be with me for a while :)
Last edited by patchouliii on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.
Population: 30% Clypeatus, 25% Brevimanus, 25% Compressus, 20% Violascens.
http://s1265.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... i/library/

Headmistress of a half a dozen +1 breech-ling (human eggs)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:06 am

kuza wrote:If you just want E's then I suggest ordering from HCP
It's too late for this year - since they won't do winter shipping they aren't selling hermit crabs again until May.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

cjmiller

Post by cjmiller » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:19 am

I have debated ordering E's from her too. I can't seem to find any around here. I have emailed lots of places, even asking over in Minneapolis which would be a 2 hour drive for me, and no one seems to have them.

I did come across a very very old post on here about a pet shop in Hudson WI with E's. I sent an email but so far have not heard a response. I may just need to call.
Christina
8 PP's and 10 E's in a 170gal tank / 3 Straws, 4 Ruggies, 3 Violas in ISO right now after shipment
Also have two dogs, Jax and Bailey, and one cat, Nina

Temeriki

Post by Temeriki » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:09 pm

lilscout wrote:*****************************************************************************************************************

Question:

Thanks
I ordered 6 small E's from LHC, Im still kinda new to crabbing, I have experience with other terrarium pets so once I got my humidty and temps stable I figured it was time for the next level. Of course they finally arrived right when my PP decided to go down for a molt (my first successful molt, lost 3 crabs to PPS). Honestly I love my E's, I got them right at the beginning of September, even got a bonus crab due to the shipping delays, they were mite free and incredibly active. I'm pretty sure Ive had a few molts cause their colors have just POPPED since Ive received them, of course their constantly digging and swapping shells so its getting hard to keep track of whos who.

Make sure you have plenty of deep substrate and things to climb on for E's. They are 1000 times more active than PP's (they can walk forwards, backwards, left and right)and love climbing and digging (and falling). If the tanks anywhere near where you sleep you will hear them banging into the glass all night. They also require marine salt water, I have two deep dishes in the tank, one for fresh and one for salt. 2 of the E's regularly go swimming in the salt water. My 29 gallon seems a lil crowded with 8 small-med crabs in it but with half underground at all times, and most climbing, it doesnt seem so bad. Plus I plan on upgrading after I move in the spring.
1 PP Thor
7 Ecuadorians: Dr Zoidberg and others
Rip Kong, Herman and Pippin

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Question:

Thanks
This may be a local thing, but my pet stores seem to stock more E's closer to the fall and winter months. Pet supplies plus always has them later into the year, along with my smaller pet stores. You might want to start making the rounds in the next month or so to see what you find before you order.
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

JGoldnSparkleCity79

Post by JGoldnSparkleCity79 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Update. Finally after playing email tag with the owner of LHC.com for the past almost three months I finally got my USPS tracking number for my two straws. I'm so excited and glad they're finally on their way home to papa. I got ten anxious crablings waiting to meet their new brothers/sisters... Hopefully they're super active and mite/illness free and completely destressed before they ship to me so i can put them in iso and start moving my other ten to my 29 gallon so i can deep clean/re substrate/re decorate the fifty five for the new residents... I'm adding a waterfall/fogger unit i found at petco on clearance that i will use for fresh water and hopefully they'll go bat poo crazy over it. I can't wait. I'm gonna be up all night tonight even though i gotta work a double tomorrow so that the main crabitat will be ready and full of fresh, clean, salt water treated eco earth and all the great things i have planned ( including a new and improved second level to Klub Krabby which has it's own salt water pool and play house made for mice but who cares. all of their shells can fit through the holes in and out of the two story mouse house.... I've got a long night ahead of me but to make all these little ones thrilled, happy, healthy, and playful it'll be well worth it so i can watch them all enjoy this weekend. Wish me luck!

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Yaaaay!! Good luck! My guys are coming tomorrow too :D
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:08 pm

YAY! :banana: :cheer: :clap:

P.S. My Indo seems to be doing good, thanks for the happy thoughts :crabbigsmile:

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Nice!! Did your streaking Indo stay in it's ? I'm assuming yes!!!! :D
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.

JGoldnSparkleCity79

Post by JGoldnSparkleCity79 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:03 am

Well.. the fifty five gallon is crystal clear, clean, and empty in anticipation of my arrival home from work about nine thirty later tonight. My fiance is gonna wait on the two straws to get here *shipping tracking says it's on the move and should be here no later than 12 noon today* and i have already set up my other ten crablings into the 29 gallon in about six inches of substrate for them to dig and destress in if needed for the move back into the big crabitat when i finish it tonight. And there's an iso tank set up for the two straws waiting on their arrival while i'm at work. I can't wait to see them tonight when i get off work and start mixing the eco earth to re vamp the big crabitat.. new waterfall, fogger, and everything. They are going to LOVE it! Can't wait for work to fly by today so i can get started tonight. So anxious and excited and hoping my straws are having a safe and happy trip to me. Guess it's time for some shuteye before getting ready for work. I will update you guys again later on tonight and post pictures somehow even though i'm relatively new to this site. Can't wait!!!!!!! :cloud9: :clap: :crabbigsmile: :banana: :D

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:16 am

patchouliii wrote:Nice!! Did your streaking Indo stay in it's ? I'm assuming yes!!!! :D
yup, he's doing great :crabbigsmile:

patchouliii

Post by patchouliii » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:16 pm

They are here!
Oh my! They are so TEENY :shock: I was afraid to get mediums because her mediums are large, so I ordered smalls and got teenies :D I'm not complaining, I just wasn't expecting this size.
Thankfully, I have shells their size and 1 Indo already switched into a shiny turbo :hearts:
Mite situation. Everyone was clean except for the Indos. The water had tiny white mites. They were dead. My predatory mites have been released even though I can't see them (Is that normal, Kuza? I just got them yesterday, two-day shipping) I also released some preds in the main tank just in case.
Packaging:
Styrofoam,wet newspapers, and burlap.
They were packed separately(in the burlap with tie wraps that I HATED because they were almost impossible to cut off :x ) according to species and the heat pack was warm upon touch. They were packed with moss and "cheerios" :hlol: :hlol: , seriously. Aside from the tie-wrap, it was decent.
I got Indos, Violas, and a couple E's. Two of which are blue :)
Soooo... enough talk...Here as some pics

Blue E

Indo and E behind on the barnacle

Violas :)

Another Viola

Indos usually don't like the "sea", but they are all soaking it up right now,so much, I had to change it. :)

Indo

I'll take more in the main tat, once everyone is transferred :)

Now I can get some SLEEP!! :clap:
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.