LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

kittyluvcrabby2113

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by kittyluvcrabby2113 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:47 pm

\
sugarselections wrote:Where did you get that info on straws? Pretty much none of it is true.

Are straws more delicate and harder to keep alive in captivity in the long term? Absolutely yes. Do they really have any special requirements that we can pinpoint at this time? No. The problem is that we don't know what it is that we're missing in their care that causes them to rarely live more than a few years in captivity.

Any well set up crabitat with the standard resources is all that's required for straws. They need 3X their height in substrate depth for molting, around 80/80 for temp/humidity with rises and falls for day and night, marine saltwater in a dish deep enough to allow them to fully submerge, an amount of space in the crabitat corresponding to their size as measured here: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/pages/sizing.htm.

Also, I believe Indos are the largest species of hermit crab followed by the purple pincher. Straws can get to jumbo size but I've never heard of one bigger than that. Somebody correct me on that one if I'm wrong.

I was incorrect about there size, my bad I thought they grew bigger but in fact its there big pincher that is the double the size. I said before I wasn't an straw owner so I don't really know everything about them, but I do know what I read and a lot of crabbers said that they wouldn't keep exotics in nothing smaller than a 50 gallon tank.
Yours Truly Kitty / Mother of 2 Beautiful Girls & Crab Mommy To 10 PURPLE PINCHERS ******* Minnie & Mickey, Tiny tot, BIG Homie, Woody, Fresh, Pacc, Ray, Creeper, & Grip ****
RIP_ Handy & Star mommy will always miss you :(
********* Yaaay I just Got Engaged 07/25/2013

kittyluvcrabby2113

Post by kittyluvcrabby2113 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:55 pm

I thought they were 2x bigger that's why I suggested double the substrate as PPs. So thanks for telling me the facts, and I watch your crabitat video on you tube like 20 times before I even became a HCA member lol, I really love your crabitat, crabs, AND THE MUSIC :D
Yours Truly Kitty / Mother of 2 Beautiful Girls & Crab Mommy To 10 PURPLE PINCHERS ******* Minnie & Mickey, Tiny tot, BIG Homie, Woody, Fresh, Pacc, Ray, Creeper, & Grip ****
RIP_ Handy & Star mommy will always miss you :(
********* Yaaay I just Got Engaged 07/25/2013

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:13 pm

One of the keys to sugars' success is that she doesn't overcrowd! When mixing species it's good to go bigger than what would normally be recommended so that they all have their own space for hanging out and molting. 13 crabs in a 40 gallon would be pushing it as they started to grow, especially when mixing in known diggers like Straws and Es.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabpie

Post by Crabpie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:32 pm

When i look at her site now almost everything is preorder :(

Ammolite

Post by Ammolite » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:30 pm

I emailed her two weeks ago with a few questions. It took a while to receive a response, but I eventually did and placed an order. Here's the information on crab arrival and shipping from the email she sent me:
We are expecting [the crabs] in approx the last week of August but this could vary as the import process is time consuming and our supplier chooses the shipping date. We usually allow approx 2 weeks to de-stress. However, remember we have been taking pre-orders and ship in the order they are received.

Crabs would ship the earliest, the 3rd week of September. If you want them in October we would recommend placing the order soon. We won't run low, but once they are in stock, we will receive many orders. At any given time orders do not ship for 2 weeks.
I don't know if this helps anyone, but at least it's information.
10 PP's and 1 Indo:
PP's - Lordy, Lady, Squire, Khaleesi, Ko, Pirate, Scurvy Dog, Hamburg, Berks, and Franklin
Indo - Biscuit

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Ammolite wrote:I emailed her two weeks ago with a few questions. It took a while to receive a response, but I eventually did and placed an order. Here's the information on crab arrival and shipping from the email she sent me:
I don't know if this helps anyone, but at least it's information.
Interesting because I emailed her the same type question days ago and didn't get a response. Thanks for the heads up. P.S. I placed my order in mid June :|

Leeko

Post by Leeko » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:57 pm

Ugh... the EARLIEST they will ship is the third week of September? :(

Thanks for the update...

Nate the great

Post by Nate the great » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:53 pm

For those who are still thinking about buying from LHC, I want to offer an update.

I ordered 6 ruggies in June. They were shipped on the day promised. 7 arrived and were active and healthy looking.

One didn't survive its first molt. I was doing a deep cleaning after transferring the hermies to a 55g and I found its remains.

All in all that's not a bad average.
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Nate the great wrote:For those who are still thinking about buying from LHC, I want to offer an update.

I ordered 6 ruggies in June. They were shipped on the day promised. 7 arrived and were active and healthy looking.

One didn't survive its first molt. I was doing a deep cleaning after transferring the hermies to a 55g and I found its remains.

All in all that's not a bad average.
Yeah, I ordered 3 Straws and another Ruggie back in June and have yet to get an update about their arrival.. So.. yeah.. :roll:

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:49 am

I've been keeping updated through LHC and heard she has not got the shipment of crabs as of yesterday 9/6/13, and I know a ton of people that have ordered back in June (I ordered the beginning of August). She has replied to all my questions and concerns, and from what I believe we will not get them till early October if she gets them this month. Once she gets them they have to destress for at least 2 weeks she told me (much like last year) so we have to be patient a while longer it seems like. This will be my first time ordering from there as well.

Nate the great

Post by Nate the great » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:06 am

CrabbyJ wrote:I've been keeping updated through LHC and heard she has not got the shipment of crabs as of yesterday 9/6/13, and I know a ton of people that have ordered back in June (I ordered the beginning of August). She has replied to all my questions and concerns, and from what I believe we will not get them till early October if she gets them this month. Once she gets them they have to destress for at least 2 weeks she told me (much like last year) so we have to be patient a while longer it seems like. This will be my first time ordering from there as well.
That matches with my experiences from last year, but this year I had much better luck. With LHC you have to accept that there's a 50/50 chance you'll either have good service or terrible service. They don't have a middle ground, unfortunately.

Speaking of which, the 6 violas I ordered in June arrived in good time and are still healthy 2 months later. They've all reshelled and i think they all molted.
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:24 pm

I didn't have such good luck with my last order. Two of the three Indos were pretty unhealthy from the start. I lost one, the other dug under a while ago. I'm assuming he's gone as well. The rugs I got seem to be doing fine, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

Amethyst

Post by Amethyst » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Submitted the order on June 11th, and have since messaged her three times about changing sizes. No response. This isn't looking promising.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Amethyst wrote:Submitted the order on June 11th, and have since messaged her three times about changing sizes. No response. This isn't looking promising.
I cancelled my order and asked for a refund

Mattygun

Post by Mattygun » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Unreal. Never ordered from her. I have been considering getting some straws from her next summer but, man, it seems she is so poor with customer service....