LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

CrabbyJ

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by CrabbyJ » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:45 pm

wodesorel wrote: This has happened for the last couple of years now. She'll find a customer that she prefers to talk to and will route all information through them. (LHC.com does have an account on here and used to post regularly, by the way.) Two years ago it was parrothead who kept everyone apprised of what was happening with the orders, last year it seemed that Ammolite was able to find out the most about what was happening and pass it along.

When those of us who have been around here for a while say that it's the same thing every year with this company, we do sadly mean exactly that. :( Everyone will eventually get their crabs though it will take months of waiting with no communication during that time. If it's anything like prior years there will be crabs available for purchase once they come in as well.

Personally, I'd love to know how many of the exotics that people have ordered actually make it more than 12 months. Usually by the time our members receive their crabs they've already drifted away from the HCA since it's been a half-year, so long-term results are rare to hear about.
^^Your third paragraph is true sadly,Thank you for making this point and you even warned me last year and look it DID happen to me, you are so right here, nailed it

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:47 pm

So far the longest I've had my LHC exo kids from last year is what 7 months now?

FloridaSun

Post by FloridaSun » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:30 pm

I have read through this entire thread and although I feel bad for the woman, I believe you make the bed you lay in. I am praying and hoping for ruggies, it's unfortunate that this is our only source for exotics. As I become more aware of the process of how our money is used to even basically make a contract of the crabs and then go months without even receiving a word of notification I do think its wrong. Although, I have no other choice but to sit back at this point, cross my fingers and wait the hope comes true. I currently run an insurance agency, if I were to ever not comply with the request of my clients... I would have no way to pay my bills. Business is business, and you have to take the sympathy out of it, especially after many years of the same issue. It boils down to customer service and the down right morals of how things should work.

I have sent an email, just so see the status of where I sit. I am the paying customer, I deserve a response to the issue. Thank you Mom23 for any messages you have sent. You have given more info than the one benefitting. I have not found Ruggs in months of searching in Florida, but I do not support someone who does not appreciate my business. If I do not receive a response... I would just have to cut my loss and hope to rescue locally somehow. I understand that eventually they may come... But it goes back to why if someone does not appreciate the business, which in return places food on the table, then why should I contribute to the problem???

What is the longest time someone has had a crab from LHC?

Just thoughts from Florida on this windy evening... I am willing to drive through the entire state if an adoption of such Ruggs arrive :roll:
4 PP, 4 Ruggies

“I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” ― Maya Angelou.

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:09 pm

You guys all make good points and as a VERY small (one woman show,hh) business owner I get all sides of it but I do agree that you shouldn't "sell" stuff you don't already have and if you aren't busy processing those orders you should have time for an email blast. I'm 6 months pregnant, a mom of 3 other kids; 2 of which go to school at home online, I run a forum, a store a Facebook group and like page and my house & I still get orders out within a couple days (even this week after a surgery) and stay in contact with my customers, etc
Now, as for crabs from LHC...I know of one lady who as of a few months ago had blues, straws, rugs & pink Indos from them that they'd had a couple years but we are no longer in contact so I can only speak as recently as a few months ago. I ordered 4 straws from her 2 summers ago & by this October or so; I had only 1 of them left but that could easily have been on me as I lost Es during that time (for full disclosure). A lady who ordered the same time as me lost all but a couple of her VERY big order within a very short time.
Sach's All Natural Crab Food & Supply Store!
http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

AimeeZ21

Post by AimeeZ21 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:15 pm

I ordered indos and haven't heard a word yet. I sent an e-mail with no response. :(

AimeeZ21

Post by AimeeZ21 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Never mind. I wasn't at the end of the thread when I replied....

AimeeZ21

Post by AimeeZ21 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks, Mom23 for the update. :)

mom23

Post by mom23 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:22 am

I do personally sympathize with her even though I do realize she is running a business and there is definite room for improvement. As a mother of 2 daughters with special needs you have NO idea what that world is like until you LIVE it. I can't imagine how she pulls it off! I don't work and I couldn't do it. I'm so busy with daily therapy and doctor's appointments, not counting illnesses, hospital stays, surgeries etc. I also have a child without special needs and they are all involved in regular activities as well. I'm honestly not die hard trying to defend her as much as offering a different perspective. We bash her and bash her for poor business, but forget she's a person and we have no idea what her world is like. If it's anything like mine it's HARD! You have no idea unless you also have a child with high needs. She may not have time to answer a hundred emails a day. Maybe she should give up the business if she can't run it properly. As Kuza & Wode have said this does happen every year and I don't think it's going to change. People should not order if they don't want to go through the hassle of the way this business is run and if you want them bad enough hold on and go through the ride. If she does quit where will we get any exotic crabs? Obviously we want them or she'd have been out of business long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

IceSpark

Post by IceSpark » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:38 am

jkd87 wrote:I wish I knew how to get in touch with suppliers & start my own hermit crab business. I live on a ginormous farm with time on my hands and a love of crabs.

**If anyone can give me any direction, I am seriously interested!
This crosses my mind often, as well. I'd love to get away from my desk job. Just don't know enough about the rules and regulations.

I've been lurking around here a while now, hoping to see how the Aussies are when (if) they come in. I hope the paperwork clears soon for the orders. At least everyone has some extra time to make sure their habitats are ready to go for their new friends. :|

mom23

Post by mom23 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:17 am

As well as rules & regs it'd be knowing people in foreign countries that export live animals. These will not be businessmen in suits. Then you would work off of their timetable and whatever is going in in their country whether it be the weather of gov't. Also knowing a foreign language would be helpful. ;)

It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

Axiluvia

Post by Axiluvia » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:58 pm

I was thinking about buying from this too, but I noticed the website hadn't been updated in months, and they still haven't responded to an email.

Honestly, if it was my company, I would hire an intern, or someone in college who could use work credits to do the customer support, email, site updates and whatnot, and all she would need to do is pack and ship the crabs. heck, with the job market the way it is, she could probably hire 2-3 people and just own the business, versus trying to run it herself, which would make her more money in the long run, since more people would actually place orders!

There's a reptile & fish store near me which is where I got my crabs.... they weren't the best, but at least they are prompt about communication! And if I want to get other crabs eventually, I could just ask some of the very nice and active people on here!
"Every man has a right to be wrong in his opinions. But no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." ~ Bernard Baruch

mom23

Post by mom23 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:41 pm

That's a good idea.

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Anyone get a response to their emails yet? :?

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:02 pm

nope!

AimeeZ21

Post by AimeeZ21 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Nope!