LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

teardrop

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by teardrop » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:57 am

I have my starter tank ready to go and im still waiting on my order of 3 pp's to ship ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 am

teardrop wrote:I have my starter tank ready to go and im still waiting on my order of 3 pp's to ship

Just of note, that divided sub isn't really appropriate for any species (in the wild there are no clear delineations like that nor areas of pure organic material & pure sand); you'll have much more success with a mixed substrate-ideally one that's more sand than organic material (5:1 works well).

Also, those plastic cholla are painted & have been known to chip so I wouldn't recommend using it.

I know the thread is about LHC but those who know me also know I can't NOT say something when I see it ;) Just my 2 cents based on research & experience.....
Sach's All Natural Crab Food & Supply Store!
http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:27 am

Is that calci-sand?

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 pm

I've really been thinking about ordering another set of ruggies, but i'm afraid i'll end up getting them in late November :-/
What would you guys suggest?
17 Year Crabber!
27 Hermit Crabs - 1,020gl Crabitat

mom23

Post by mom23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:07 pm

I would suggest emailing her and asking the wait time. Yeah, she may not answer you right away, but eventually she will.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

teardrop

Post by teardrop » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Yes its calci- sand and I have more sand I can just mix it and the coconut to gather but ill need to remove some of the coconut first right

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:36 pm

teardrop wrote:Yes its calci- sand and I have more sand I can just mix it and the coconut to gather but ill need to remove some of the coconut first right

Well, luckily there's no crabs in there because you'll wanna take out the calci-sand as it is dangerous. It's not only been reported to smell bad when wet but it can also harden & act like a cement in gluing crabs into their shells (I experienced it myself when using it in the very beginning).

My recommendation would be to take out the calci-sand and most of the coconut fiber (do you know how much you used?) and mix in instead some playsand (like the kind used for kids' sand boxes); this is a cheap &much safer alternative that comes pretty close to what they live in out in the wild.

teardrop

Post by teardrop » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Well its a mix of calci sand and reguler white sand 5 lbs of reguler wight sand and 4 pounds of calci sand and one brick of coco fiber

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:52 pm

What size tank is it? To get a good 5:1 mix it comes out to half a brick of EE (coco fiber) to 50 pounds of sand so you'd have to replace the calci & white sand with 2 bags of playsand & mix them together to get a 5:1 without having to remove any coconut fiber (that would be easiest if you can fit that much sand in).

teardrop

Post by teardrop » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:35 am

Nah its just a 10 gallon starter tank that will be a iso tank once I find a good deal on a 50+ gallon tank

teardrop

Post by teardrop » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:38 am

Doesn't the mix make it harder for them to dig in and have it hold its shape

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:22 am

teardrop wrote:Doesn't the mix make it harder for them to dig in and have it hold its shape

With regular playsand & coco fiber, it's just the opposite; it acts just like what they have in nature. Out on the shores, they'd be digging in what is mostly sand with some organic material mixed in (decayed plants, stuff that washes ashore, etc). I don't know if you've been to the been to the beach or played in a sandbox as a kid but think of how when you have moist sand you can poke your finger down in it & it leaves a hole where your finger was; it's like that. When the crabs dig they actually use a mucus-like substance to stick the walls of their tunnels together & the straight coconut fiber doesn't stay like the mixture does.

What size PPs did you order? I'd recommend looking for that bigger tank now as 3 in a 10 is technically over capacity unless they are REALLY tiny.

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:33 pm

I keep getting PM's about E's, we are only doing rescue and adoption from our website and will not be selling hermit crabs. If you are interested in adopting please visit our website, Thanks everyone! Keep on Crabbin!

Avery

Post by Avery » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:49 pm

CrabbyJ wrote:I keep getting PM's about E's, we are only doing rescue and adoption from our website and will not be selling hermit crabs. If you are interested in adopting please visit our website, Thanks everyone! Keep on Crabbin!

CrabbyJ- I was just looking at your web site and I feel I have to give you some props on it! It is FANTASTIC! You have really outdone yourself. I'm pinning it and sharing it with some friends :)
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken (Oscar Wilde)
Human mom to: Straws, PP's, Indos, Violas, E's, Goldfish, Julii Cory Cat's, dogs, cats & a teenager

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Anyone heard anything on the Aussies??