Australian hermit crab supplies websites?

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Jayden7699

Australian hermit crab supplies websites?

Post by Jayden7699 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:06 am

Hello everyone, I'm from Australia and in need of some more shells, hiding/climbing toys. I was wondering if any of you know any good online hermit crab supply stores? As I can't find any online stores based in Aus and I don't want to pay $30 shipping overseas.... Thanks! :)
Proud Australian owner of six Aussie hermit crabs in a 20gal: Red, Bluey, Speedy, Frank, midget and Godzilla .

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Australian hermit crab supplies websites?

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:01 am

Hmm, besides ebay? Have you looked here:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html
Has a few aussie stores listed.. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of variety for us compared to the US, i suggest looking at some reptile/fish online shops for a greater variety. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Jayden7699

Post by Jayden7699 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:39 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Hmm, besides ebay? Have you looked here:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html
Has a few aussie stores listed.. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of variety for us compared to the US, i suggest looking at some reptile/fish online shops for a greater variety. :)
Thanks a lot, never knew that Naples shipped to Aus for so cheap! A few shells are on their way to my door hehe :banana:
Proud Australian owner of six Aussie hermit crabs in a 20gal: Red, Bluey, Speedy, Frank, midget and Godzilla .

lessthansign3

Post by lessthansign3 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:09 pm

I might be posting some shells and things to my hermit crab supply store on Etsy soon, and those will be available for international shipping :D The foods, however, I'm not shipping internationally just yet, but if you are interested I will look up the relevant laws and perhaps that will be a thing in the future. I just don't want to be illegally importing/exporting things, and all that :) Anyway, the link is in my signature, please check it out. I'll look through my shell collection and you may see some new additions in the coming days.

Oh, and I have some birch bark I've been meaning to add, which makes for a great climbable, so look for that, too.

Topic author
Jayden7699

Post by Jayden7699 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:10 pm

lessthansign3 wrote:I might be posting some shells and things to my hermit crab supply store on Etsy soon, and those will be available for international shipping :D The foods, however, I'm not shipping internationally just yet, but if you are interested I will look up the relevant laws and perhaps that will be a thing in the future. I just don't want to be illegally importing/exporting things, and all that :) Anyway, the link is in my signature, please check it out. I'll look through my shell collection and you may see some new additions in the coming days.

Oh, and I have some birch bark I've been meaning to add, which makes for a great climbable, so look for that, too.
Nice little shop you have there :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:22 pm

As far as I've been told, nothing organic can be sent into Australia. I conversed with a few Aussie shoppers before shipping there myself, and all the edible things were off the safe list. Shells are perfectly okay so long as they've been cleaned and there's no remnants of the prior occupants. I was also told not to stuff anything like newspaper or padding inside the shells as they xray everything coming in and if it looks suspicious they'll pull it for further inspection which can take weeks. The shipping rates from the USA really are amazingly good. I sent a box of shells there last fall and it was pretty much the same price as shipping to Canada or even Alaska.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

lessthansign3

Post by lessthansign3 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for the tips :) Ah Australia... Beautiful country, but I'd never want to live there. For multiple reasons, crazy shipping rules being the least of them (I'm a northern creature at heart, and it's too freakin' hot down there). Really wish I could visit though :)

Edit: Also! I've got shells up on the store now! :D I've got lots of shells if you have really small crabs, so I hope you're in the market for some little ones. I'm mostly selling off shells my crabs couldn't or wouldn't use. So, the little tiny shells, because none of my crabs are so tiny nor do I plan on getting such tiny crabs, and the magpies, since none of my crabs have favored them, but I know others like them and I've got a TON so why not let someone else have them?

Topic author
Jayden7699

Post by Jayden7699 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:18 am

lessthansign3 wrote:Thanks for the tips :) Ah Australia... Beautiful country, but I'd never want to live there. For multiple reasons, crazy shipping rules being the least of them (I'm a northern creature at heart, and it's too freakin' hot down there). Really wish I could visit though :)

Edit: Also! I've got shells up on the store now! :D I've got lots of shells if you have really small crabs, so I hope you're in the market for some little ones. I'm mostly selling off shells my crabs couldn't or wouldn't use. So, the little tiny shells, because none of my crabs are so tiny nor do I plan on getting such tiny crabs, and the magpies, since none of my crabs have favored them, but I know others like them and I've got a TON so why not let someone else have them?
Yeah I'm in need of some more shells....